how to get a grinding angle

Frank Fusco

There is talk of the Raptor set going on right now.
I saw the link for the whole set and it has many angles.
However, I need to figure out how to set a tool rest for a ten degree angle. Other than the "eyeball" method, I would like ideas.
It is for the hollowing carbide cutters below.

Attachments

• cutters.jpg
    cutters.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 23
Frank, if those are carbide, I don't think your grinder is going to sharpen them. I believe most carbide edges are sharpened with diamond stones. If they are HSS, then your grinder will be fine.

As far as your 10 degree question, I've always just used my eye to match the existing grind on things like handled scrapers and scraper bits for my hollowing tools.

Frank, seems like you can cut a jig from scrap plywood -- You know the wheel diameter and the relation of the tool rest to the center of the wheel --
something like this ...

Attachments

• Drawing1 (758 x 582).jpg
    Drawing1 (758 x 582).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 47
Frank, if those are carbide, I don't think your grinder is going to sharpen them. I believe most carbide edges are sharpened with diamond stones. If they are HSS, then your grinder will be fine.

As far as your 10 degree question, I've always just used my eye to match the existing grind on things like handled scrapers and scraper bits for my hollowing tools.

My misteak. I just went to the Don Pencil site and found that they are HSS. And, I was skeeptikel about sharpening carbide on my wheel also.
A plus, much to the credit of Don Pencil's honesty. He actually suggests going to a machinist supply house and buying replacements for about $1.50 each instead of ordering from him. I find that just super refreshing in these days of tooth and claw competition. Good on you, Don. :thumb:

For me ... if I have something who's angle I need to repeat ... I mark the bevel with a sharpie and adjust the rest to "close" and test it by holding the cutter up to the wheel as though I'm going to sharpen - turn the wheel by hand and look to see if all the sharpie is removed. Works swell for me :)