Getting Smoky Around Here

Does this bode bad for Vaughn?

http://www.cnn.com/

Which article were you trying to link to, Jon? That link just goes to the CNN home page. When I click it, the lead story was about Bobby Brown smacking women, which I'm guessing was not the one you had in mind. :p

At this point, it looks like the fire is about done in our area. It's apparently still spreading out of control for the most part, but it's pretty much done burning around here it seems. Still real smoky, but I suspect we'll get belongings and spare vehicles moved back here later today.

wake up vaughn its gettin bigger and we are gettin worried!!! this was on cnn just now....
"Our neighbors sent us photos of all the other houses that are lost," said Beth Halaas, who lost her house in Big Tujunga Canyon, one of the many communities under mandatory evacuation. "We've heard as many as 30 houses burned."

well so much for this post yu had been writtun as i sent it!!! glad it missed ya i didnt want to miss out on the final stages of the chocolate:)

Glad you checked in Vaughn. I was getting really worried! Good news to hear for sure. From the maps online it looks like the fire line is less than a mile from your house!

Wes

From the maps online it looks like the fire line is less than a mile from your house!

Wes

I haven't had a chance to check things out yet today but I'm guessing the closest it got to our house is about 1/4 mile away. Lots and lots of burned terrain north and east of us.

One of my neighbors was commenting yesterday that the fires are right on cue for mudslide season here in a few months. :rolleyes: Ah, the joy of living in the land of fruits and nuts. :p

Larry, the houses that burned in Big Tujunga Canyon were a few miles upstream from us. The fire hit them Saturday, as well as a bunch of cabins on leased Forest Service land. I don't think anyone has an accurate number yet of the number of buildings lost, but I think it's been pretty low, all things considered. When we bought our house a few years ago, we looked at one about 7 miles up the canyon from here. I'm curious to see how that area looks now. I'll bet it's not pretty.

Oops, spoke too soon. Just got word we're getting another evacuation order, and this one is covering a much larger area of homes. :doh:

I'll check in later when I get a chance.

Well, four hours later, the flames are still headed our way, but I'm back at home with the two dogs. I waited with a few neighbors about 1/4 mile from our houses (lawn chairs, cold beverages...a sidewalk picnic). A little bit ago we collectively decided we might as well wait at our respective homes, so that's where we are right now, on very high alert with eyes wide open. The flames are now about 1/4 mile away, but there are a couple fire breaks between here and there. We should be OK, but we'll stay on our toes nonetheless.

More pics later when I have a bit more time.

Been following this on the news and this does not sound like any fun at all! Vaughn - make sure you got all your stuff in one sock so when it comes time to leave you can get the heck out of there!

Been watching - been praying!

Been watching the air assault just to the east of us all afternoon, and it looks like they have that particular threat knocked down for the time being. There's another smaller flank coming our way from the northeast, but the helicopters are still working on it. These have both been slow-moving fingers...coming downhill for the most part, and the winds have been on our side most of the afternoon. Things seem pretty OK for right now, but it's been a roller coaster of a day to say the least.

Steve, I've already left twice now, so I've been getting some practice. :p I've just kept the car packed when I've been here.

Frank, I'll be sure to post some picnic photos when I pull them off my camera. :D

Vaughn, I’ve been watching the news and reading this thread the last few days. That thing is too close for comfort! I pray that the winds & temps keep cooperating!

Have you given anymore thought of moving you and the misses back to your old stomping grounds? Thank God we don’t have many big fires out here (not counting the Los Alamos fire..) :rolleyes:

I hope you've gone back to spend the night somewhere else Vaughn. I sure wouldn't want it to come back and slip up on you while you were trying to sleep. Hang in there, but stay safe.

Just another quick installment in the saga...

Things were pretty good early Monday evening, but by about 9:30 or 10:00, things were looking ugly again, so we (the neighbors and I) hightailed it out of there once again for a couple of hours. I dropped off the dogs at my friend's house, then went back to our picnic spot to watch and wait. (LOML was again staying with another friend with the third dog. She did drop by the house Monday night for a while, but she left when we evacuated about 10:00 PM.) As I got a half mile or so from our houses while delivering the dogs, I was able to get a better feel for the location of the fire, and saw that it wasn't as close as it had looked from our front yards. Still, we just cooled our heels for a while until we were comfortable going back. It also helped that the neighbors across the street are good friends with a captain on the LA Fire Department. He happened to drop by our picnic sidewalk and let us know the latest from their perspective. The big flames we were seeing were slowly working their way to fire breaks, where strike teams were waiting for them. He assured us that we should be fine for the night.

Anyway, here are a few random pics out of a couple hundred or so that I've taken recently.

Remember the spot fire I showed a couple days ago that worked its way up the hill? Here's what that hill looked like Monday morning. The spot fire was in one of the three draws you see at the base of the mountain:

Station Fire - 18  800.jpg

And another shot of that part of the mountain, to get a bit more perspective for size:

Station Fire - 19  800.jpg

While I was in the next-door neighbor's back yard getting those two shots, I saw this guy and couldn't pass up the chance to take a shot of him:

Station Fire - 16  800.jpg

By late morning Monday, we had another mandatory evacuation order. Evacuation orders have gotten a lot of media attention here due to the poor choices made by a few people. Earlier, I was told by a police officer that about the only thing "mandatory" about them is it's mandatory for the cops to come tell us. Beyond that, there is no action they can take to force people to leave. They give the orders to hold the City harmless from liability claims. Of course, you see and hear about the people who make the (often poor) choice to stay and fight the fire. None of us are of that mindset...that's why we've left three times already. But we also feel more comfortable being home to protect our property, and we have gotten repeated reassurances from the police that, in our particular location, we are making a prudent decision, and they agree with it. On the other hand, there's a small subdivision right around the corner from us called Alpine Village. (It's the yellow rectangular evacuation area above "Sunland" on the fire map I posted a few pages ago.) They don't have a good exit route if things get ugly, and the same cop that said we were fine told me "they'd be idiots" to stay there. (And indeed, Alpine Village was completely empty last I heard.)

Anyway, as promised to Frank, here's a picture of the sidewalk picnic we had. This is Perry and Mary in the foreground, and Dave and Jeannette in the background, with Perry's dog Duke in the middle. (My dogs were helping me take the photo.) Dave and Jeannette have a pickup-mounted camper that they moved around the corner to the school Saturday, and it's our off-site waystation. Nothing to do but wait, so why not bust out the chairs and cooler chest?

Station Fire - 15  800.jpg

After a few hours in the sun, we were ready to go home. We'd seen the smoke and flames recede a couple ridges behind and above Dave and Jeannette's house (across the cul-de-sac from ours), so we drove back home. Through the rest of the afternoon, tensions went back up and down with the flames up the hill. Things would get hot and exciting, then calm down for a while. Eventually, with a lot of water drops, they seemed to have things under control. I was unable to get any shots of the water drops behind their house because of tree cover and the ridge, but I did get a number of shots of the choppers flying over our houses getting into position to drop:

Station Fire - 21  800.jpg

While this was going on, things were also picking up across Big Tujunga Canyon, which is right off our next-door neighbor's back yard. I was able to get a few water drop shots from there as they fought that flank of the fire a mile or so away:

Station Fire - 20  800.jpg

By dark, things were considerably settled down. I even told LOML things should be fine for her to come home for a little while so she could see everything was still OK for herself. (It's been real nerve-wracking for her to be away while all this has gone on, but on the other hand, she'd be more of a wreck if she had to stay here and deal with it.) Almost as if on cue, things started picking up again after she arrived. Before long, things looked like they were getting pretty close to the ridge behind Dave and Jeannette's house again. And while most of the fire outbreaks we'd seen had been relatively small, this one was looking bigger than any we'd seen before:

Station Fire - 22  800.jpg

So, once again we loaded up to go back to the "picnic grounds" by the school and wait. Here's a shot I got while we were there as a stream of 8 or 9 firetrucks came into town from the hills. (I'm guessing they were headed for a much needed break.)

Station Fire - 24  800.jpg

As it turned out, the reason the flames looked so big Monday night was not because they were close, it was because they were huge. They were also spread out over a large area of the mountainside. While we were waiting things out, I went to grab a sandwich for dinner, and shot this pic on the way back. The white lights are the local high school football field, which is being used as an evacuation center for animals. You can see the extent of some of the multiple fires on the mountains in the background, a mile or so away.

Station Fire - 25  800.jpg

Pretty much anywhere you look on the mountain right now, there are multiple fires burning. It's mesmerizing and scary all at the same time. I've seen SoCal fires every year for the past 18 or so, but never anything this close and widespread at the same time. A 50 acre brush fire usually makes the lead story on the evening news out here. This one's over 105,000 acres. About the size of Las Vegas or San Francisco.

And one last shot for this installment, showing the hills east of our house (and about the same distance north of my old house).

Station Fire - 26  800.jpg

That's it for now. I need to try to get some sleep. I hope Tuesday is a little less exciting than Monday was.

Very scary and dramatic stuff. Despite there being beer on hand, that 'picnic' sure doesn't look like much of a picnic under the circumstances.
If I lived out there I believe it would be only in a camper trailer permanently hitched to the truck.

About the only good thing I can think of about this whole episode is that with all the burning going on, when it is all over, I would think that you guys should be fairly safe for a few years from this happening again, as the fuel will have been burnt up.... :dunno:

Stay safe! :wave:

About the only good thing I can think of about this whole episode is that with all the burning going on, when it is all over, I would think that you guys should be fairly safe for a few years from this happening again, as the fuel will have been burnt up.... :dunno:

Nope, next come the mudslides. :(

And we won't even mention the earthquakes.
I think Vaughn's going to be moving to a mobile home in Kansas.:eek:
Just trying to cheer ya up Vaughn.:doh:

Wes

Nope, next come the mudslides. :(

And we won't even mention the earthquakes.
I think Vaughn's going to be moving to a mobile home in Kansas.:eek:
Just trying to cheer ya up Vaughn.:doh:

Wes

No, no, no....mobile homes in KS attract tornados. :eek: There are some salt mines in south central KS that would keep him safe from a lot of things...

Hope today's update is a good one Vaughn! :thumb:

thats probally where he and the rest of those spinny folks originated from them thar nadors:) here we thought it was art its just the reprocushuns from a big whirl wind:):D:rofl: hang tuff vaughn