Knife Block

Dave Black

Here is a knife block that I made, it was a short afternoon project. It is made of "reclaimed" wood (not sure of exact species) from a 1000 gal wooden water tank and walnut. I think it turned out well and now I don't have to wince as I reach in the silverware drawer to get something since all the sharp knifes are in the block.

Attachments

• DSCF1018.jpg
    DSCF1018.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF1019.jpg
    DSCF1019.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF1020.jpg
    DSCF1020.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 63
Now that is one sweet knife block!! I assume steak type knives on the front, was this designed for knives where the dark wood and light wood meet on the sides? Or are those holes designed into the connection system? Very nice.

Now that is one sweet knife block!! I assume steak type knives on the front, was this designed for knives where the dark wood and light wood meet on the sides? Or are those holes designed into the connection system? Very nice.

The slots in the left and right walnut wings are for steak knives, the big horizontal slots in the center section are for chefs knives and there are also 2 bigger holes at the bottom for scissors. The smaller vertical slots in the lower center section are for parring knives. All of the slots are essentially routered dados or half cuts with the table saw that line up when glued up.

That looks superb, Dave. :thumb: I can see all sorts of cool possible variations a person could do with the idea, too.

In our house, there are "her" knives and "my" knives. Hers (two little cheap paring knives) stay loose in a drawer, and pose no danger of cutting you. Mine (the good stuff) are in racks in a separate drawer or on magnetic wall racks, and she doesn't touch them. (I'm the cook in the family, and she has no desire to learn how to use a sharp knife. I keep trying to tell her the dull knives are more dangerous, but she's a woman...what do I know? :rofl:

Very nice! I really like the two woods.

I know this comment is not really related to your post, but your block and Vaughn's comment about sharp knifes drought back memories of my dear mother in her early stages of Alzheimer.

We had her living with us prior to having to put her into a nursing home. I had several very expensive kitchen knives given to me by my son, a chef, that I had sent to a knife maker in Denver to sharpen. Two days after receiving them back my wife had complained that her favorite would not cut a tomato.

My mother had taken them outside and scraped the cutting edge on the corner of the cement patio because she felt they were to sharp and was afraid that someone would cut themselves.

Jiggs Elphison

I am thinking about making some more knife blocks and selling them to help pay for some tools. How much would you pay for one of these?