Man I hate this when it happens......

Stuart Ablett

...... you know, you are roughing out a bowl blank, and ............

Huh...........?

What's that.................? :(

cherry_cracked1.jpg
Yep, a crack I did not see until I turned it a bit :mad:

cherry_cracked2.jpg
Don't matter what angle you look at it, is still cracked!!!

cherry_cracked_result.jpg
Oh well, it will still make a nice bowl, but it would have made a REALLY nice bowl it it had not cracked!

Cheers!

Haven't tried it yet, but Kevin G. has done it and it looked quite nice.
Fill the crack with charcoal dust and CA glue (at least I think that was what he did). Maybe he'll see this and chime in.

This was a crack that came from the pith of the log, the wood had been sitting in log form for nearly a year, and the crack was all the way through.

I was REALLY worried about it becoming shrapnel while turning it, so I turned it away, got to protect my boyish good looks you know :rolleyes: (and yes, I wear a full face shield!!)

As I turned it down, I did have a bit of chunk-age, so I think I made the right choice, which is moot, as the crack is just that much dust now anyways! :D

In all I have 15 good blanks from that wood haul, and I have another haul coming up at the end of Nov, a "Ginko" tree this time :D

Thanks for the info on the crack filler, I'll file that away for sure!

Cheers!

I was REALLY worried about it becoming shrapnel while turning it, so I turned it away, got to protect my boyish good looks you know :rolleyes: (and yes, I wear a full face shield!!)
As I've gained more experience turning cracked bowls, I'm finding they seem to be less likely to blow up than I had originally thought. I've done some with pretty gaping holes, and they've survived the ride.

Filler-wise, I've had good success with epoxy and partially ground-up instant coffee crystals. Makes a nice, rich brown patch.