Table

Dave Black

Here are some pics of my dining table that I built about 3 years ago there are some pics of it before it was finished and some of it after it was done and in the house. It is made from white oak from my inlaws land and walnut from a tree off my grandparents land.

Attachments

• DSC00094.jpg
    DSC00094.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00095.jpg
    DSC00095.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00096.jpg
    DSC00096.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC00097.jpg
    DSC00097.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC00099.jpg
    DSC00099.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC00100.jpg
    DSC00100.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 52
Sweet :thumb: I was hoping you would show the table when I saw it under your knife block. Nice table and with the family history of the wood, it makes it a very special table for you also. Well done:thumb:

Thanks.
It is about 45" x 92", or it was 45", it shrunk about 3/4" in width over about 2 months after it was in the house. It also warped a little. If I remember right the wood was slightly on the moist side when I started working on it. I guess that is a lesson learned. I have been messing with wood since I was a kid, I am 26 so I guess not that long. The table was my first "real" project so I didn't know what to expect. I have made lots of stuff from plywood and hardwood trim from Lowes so shrinkage wasn't a problem. I am thinking that it warped (cupped from side to side) because I didn't plane the back very much and so the top let off more moisture and shrunk more. My plan is to make a some rails that would run down the length of each side and have a board with a router attached that spans the rails. Then I just slide the router along the rails and side to side and the top will be nice and flat. I was just going to hand plane it but I had so much problem with tear out when I did it the first time due to the crazy grain that this sounds like a good idea to me.

Great table, simple and well done, congratulations.!!
A question if I may, the brown central stripe was intentional from the very beginning or it had to do with the material you had available? I think it turned ou great!

well i like stout stuff and your table definitely qualifies.. the walnut center and ends go well together.. the warpage you mentioned. did yu finish the bottom side as well as the top side? if not that could cause your warpage to, and if yu were to finish the other side might bring it back flat some. nice work:):thumb:

I get all my wood from my father in law who has a small lucas sawmill in ohio so what ever he has determines what I have available to use. So to answer your question the walnut was put in the middle because I didn't have enough white oak, and I thought it was pretty cool looking. To answer the other question I did finish the bottom of the table, it only has 1 coat as opposed to 2 on the top. The top edges warped up, not down so it would seem to me that the top is what dried more.