Need a new motor

Looking for a replacement motor for my Delta Double Duty lathe recently acquired.

I am thinking 3/4 hp TEFC 1 phase 1750RPM 110v reversible and would really prefer dual shaft. Biggest concern is price.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

I don't know about the reversible part.
But, take an afternoon and prowl the flea markets and antique shops in your area. I see motors all the time for little money, like $5.00.
Look in yellow pages for an electric motor repair shop. They usually have quite a few unclaimed rebuilts selling very reasonably.

Look in yellow pages for an electric motor repair shop. They usually have quite a few unclaimed rebuilts selling very reasonably.

I agree with Frank, the ones here in town had both just cleaned out (thrown away:eek:) there unclaimed/abandoned motors the weekend before I stopped in :doh:....I ended up getting one from Surplus Center when I drove thru Lincoln, NE, but they do ship.

Hi Frank,

There is one motor repair place in Palm Beach county and when I visited them with my old motor to see about repairing it they refused because of it's age and condition. When I asked about rebuilt motors they said they don't have a call for something that small and when I asked about new they offered a Dayton 1/2hp single shaft for $208 + tax.

As to flea markets, there is one in the county that has one fellow that has a few wood working tools, nobody that has motors (this is based upon about six trips over the last several months). In the next county north there is a flea market that in the winter time has a fellow that sells a lot of rusty junk. There is nobody in the summer with tools, motors or anything close.

This is why I am asking for help here. I have done my leg work but I live in the land of the rich, non hobbyist. There have been several cabinet shops go out of business, but their stuff is all Felder and other high end names.

Thanks Jeff,

Been looking at Carigslist now for several things. This is where I got the lathe.

Only recent motor I have seen was great price, great hp but three phase. I understand I could get a phase converter but don't have access to 220 in the workshop location.

Hi Frank,

There is one motor repair place in Palm Beach county and when I visited them with my old motor to see about repairing it they refused because of it's age and condition. When I asked about rebuilt motors they said they don't have a call for something that small and when I asked about new they offered a Dayton 1/2hp single shaft for $208 + tax.

As to flea markets, there is one in the county that has one fellow that has a few wood working tools, nobody that has motors (this is based upon about six trips over the last several months). In the next county north there is a flea market that in the winter time has a fellow that sells a lot of rusty junk. There is nobody in the summer with tools, motors or anything close.

This is why I am asking for help here. I have done my leg work but I live in the land of the rich, non hobbyist. There have been several cabinet shops go out of business, but their stuff is all Felder and other high end names.

The retired, old guy, with our local motor repair shop wouldn't have turned it down. That's what he likes, the old motors and a challenge.

Bill,
I've picked up several motors on ebay. A few shipped and a few picked up. Another option to consider is DC with a controller. The motors tend to go cheap similar to 3PH due to people being unfamiliar with them.

Just food for thought.

Wes