Two router combo deals for < $106 shipped: Hitachi and Milwaukee

scott spencer

Amazon currently has two excellent router deals going....

1. Hitachi KM12VC VS 11 amp VS fixed/plunge combo kit of sale for $106 shipped.
  2. Milwaukee 5615-24 11 amp fixed/plung combo kit single speed for $103 shipped
I happen to have both of these routers and like both a lot for different things. For a Benjamin, both are priced right.

The Hitach is a terrific value in a very light, very quiet router that offers two collects, variable speed, soft start, and dual bases. I use mine for handwork, and especially like it for dovetails because it's so light. I actually sold my heavier Bosch 1617 in favor of the Hitachi for this application.

The Milwaukee kit is built like a tank. It's also an 11 amp router but seems stouter than others of this size I've used. The plunge base is the best I've used, and it comes with a dust chute, and the Body Grip is a great feature on the fixed base. Note that it's only single speed so would not be a good candidate for a router table unless you add a speed control, which is easily doable because it doesn't have the soft start either.

Great deals! I'm in the market for a router too! I have a question for someone who is not electrically challenged like me:eek:. They are both rated at 11 amps, yet one is 1.75 HP and the other claims 2.25 HP. How does this work? Is Hitachi inflating their claim? Or are their other factors?

Great deals! I'm in the market for a router too! I have a question for someone who is not electrically challenged like me:eek:. They are both rated at 11 amps, yet one is 1.75 HP and the other claims 2.25 HP. How does this work? Is Hitachi inflating their claim? Or are their other factors?

Barry - They're all inflating their HP claim to the point of absurdity. The amp rating is supposedly factual. I'm not certain, but I believe that somewhere along the way the variable speed controller ads something to the HP rating....maybe someone else can clarify.

I once read a comment from an EE who said that the most accurate way to measure their power is to weigh them....he was mostly kidding of course, but the logic is that heavier windings equate to more oomph. Either way, a good 11 amp router like these two, should handle most every day tasks....certainly just about any hand use you're likely to encounter. It's when you get into doing things like raised panels with a 3" horizontal panel raiser that they'll struggle more than a 15 amp router. The 11 amp rotuers can do occasional raised panels if you take light passes, but they struggle more, which means it could shorten their working lives a bit. That's why so many folks like to have a dedicated table router and one for hand use...they're really two tools for two different functions.

Id say that Hitachi is listing the peak HP which is a nice way of saying they're inflating there claim.

Ooh...dead deal on the Hitachi. Well, that makes the decision easier! ...the MW is still $103 shipped! :thumb:

Bart, how much do you want for those spaghetti meters?

Last edited: