My first attempt at anything

allen levine

I know it could take years of practice, but today I had some time to kill,(me and the jewelry box had a huge disagreement) so I took a piece of 2x4 and cut it in half.
I wanted to see just how impossible its going to be to make legs to match for a coffee table.
I dont own a caliper, I dont have a wheel to sharpen anything yet, by the time I started to turn, the second one, the drugs didnt help, my eyes shut down, and that was that.
Noone got hurt, noone drown. I did alot better than the captain of the Titanic on his first try with that ship, so Im not frustrated.
Id love to be able to spin simple legs for tables one day. Very simple.
I will buy a measuring device and I will use a ruler to measure things out.
I just did this all by sight, and thats a joke, because my vision is a joke come 6 pm.
I thought you guys needed a good laugh, so here they are. Im going to make a few more tomorrow, try to copy off the first one.

this is so much fun it should be illegal.
(my grip gave way also, so I decided to not to try to slim out the second one, it was time to close down)

Attachments

• wood stuff 1239 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1239 (Medium).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 76
Al,

Make a reverse template of the contour you want . Hmmm how can I explain this?:huh: Simply trace the shape of the first leg on a piece of plywood, cut it out then take the cut piece and use it to give you the contours for the ones you want to copy. Am I making myself as clear as mud..:eek:

sure, I know(IM pretty sure) they sell templates of variouis styles, and when I get a real lathe and real chisels, Ill probably get some simple styles that are easiest to duplicate. Im just playing with it. I have to go find some scrap 2x4s tomorrow.

I didnt give up flatwork. I never will.
My time in woodworking is going to be limited.
I wanted to make the jewelry chest with turned legs, was thinking about buying some walnut turned legs, but decided against it.
Figured eventually, Ill be able to do it myself. I dont think Ill be doing bowl work, or anything else besides legs or spindles for quite a while.
First, I need to practice. Once I know I can handle it, Ill go in for the money.

I think you did a great job for a first stab at making matching parts. :thumb: Knowing you, you'll have it aced with a bit more practice. And the most important part is that you're having fun. :D

Calipers? Don't you have any crescent wrenches? In a pinch, they will get you real close!!! Don't forget, table legs aren't real close, hand turned needs to be somewhat individual. Good job!!