My son's new Bed

Ned Bulken

Took a personal day today, and proceeded to 'finish' the woodworking on my son's new Bed which I discussed here.

bedcomplete.jpg

bed2.jpg

bedtopview.jpg

hardware.jpg

beds and desks, good to see you putting in shop time and turning out woodworking projects(furniture) for the family.
I've actually built all of the beds in the house! This was my first 'decent' design where aesthetics were a concern for me. I tried to keep the hardware minimized.

Amen to that...DAMHIKT

Like others have said Stout
Good job.

He's a solid young man, plays football and lacrosse, and works out frequently, I expect he'll be 'hard' on the bed as a result. Thanks!

That should last him until he goes off to college........Then comes home to live again:bang:
Two years til college, then we move... but he knows our destination already, so the address thing won't work (but it did get a laugh!)

stout?!:eek: downright sturdy i'd say :rofl:
tha'ts the idea!

Larry should like this - it's stout!

Nicely done Ned. Looks like it will hold up to a young feller!:thumb:

Let's hope so!

Good Idea on the bed, Ned. I LIKE a stout, solid bed. In my travels I've slept on a LOT of different beds around the world, and SOME of them were so fragile, loose and squeaky I was almost afraid to turn over for fear they would crash to the floor, (and three of them did).:rolleyes::(

Jon,
That's what the other beds are, but he got a full box spring and mattress this time, so the box spring will rest on the 2x6's along the rails. I glued And pocket screwed them to the rails, have to see if they'll hold up, but I would think they should.

Well, after finishing the desk, James and I assembled the bed... and found a design error...

I didn't allow for the bolts inside the frame... the box spring just barely fits inside the frame, so we had to flip the carriage bolts so the nuts were outside of the frame.

nuts.jpg

bededited.jpg

bededited2.jpg

designeredited.jpg

pardon the edits, but the room needed a bit more attention than I wanted to show.

Design errors or not, it obviously still works just fine. :thumb: Nice job. Is there a way you can countersink where the nuts attach to the carriage bolts? Or maybe countersink and cover with contrasting plugs? (Unglued so they can be removed when it's time to take the frame apart for moving.)

Vaughn,
My thought was to countersink Inside the frame and cut down the bolts just a bit, but I like the caps idea. Maybe I'll turn some decorative caps instead, cool idea thanks!

And for the record, even when I get on there, the frame is Solid, no flex, no squeaks.

Ned,
How about T-nuts?

The bed looks great - especially in situ. I suspect it will last long enough to see him through his adult years. Your great grand kids will be asking you about it.:thumb:

Wes