KP's Toolbox

Jeff Bower

A few months ago I was helping my dad rearrange the chaos in his garage that we had just placed, shoved, and stacked his entire shop into after moving it from KS to Des Moines and rediscovered a heavy wooden box with hand cut dovetail joinery. I remembered it from loading the Uhaul back in KS too. I played strong man and lifted my grandfather's carpentry tool box by myself into the moving van. It was heavy, stout and showed signs of once being beautiful. I commented to my dad that it should be refinished and used as a show piece in his new shop. He was to tired and sore to hear me I think.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I'm helping my dad put up a wall in his new shop and we need to move the tool box. My dad says, "If you are interested, KP's toolbox is yours." So, I get the pleasure to inherit this great piece of history. My dad told me that my grandpa worked on a crew of 5-7 carpenters that went to work each day on the back of a flat bed pickup. They'd work all day and then had to spend most of the night sharpening their tools. If they weren't sharp in the morning, they got fired on the spot. Below are some pictures of how it looks now. The top half is spilt and folds down to reveal three small drawers and a storage space to the right. The box that folds down contains the 5 hand saws. The lower half is made up of 2 deep drawers that house the plans and brace bits among other things.

Possibly the best part of recieving the tool box are it's contents. Swedish chisels given to grandpa by his mentor, who name escapes me now, a Stanley No 7, another Stanley for inside curves, Miller Falls No. 9, 2 braces, bits, scoring knives, awls, 5 Disstons saws, saw tooth set, 2 more manual drills and 2 wooden planes, plus much more. I have the tool box on a shelf in my shop now. Eventually I will do a little refinish on the box, but I also hope to learn how to use and maintain the tools as well. I'll post some more picks of the contents soon...I will be making some new chisel handles for sure!

(sorry for the long winded post, but I'm pretty excited about this,:D)

Attachments

• 100_0755.JPG
    100_0755.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 74
  • 100_0762.JPG
    100_0762.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_0761.JPG
    100_0761.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 100_0757.JPG
    100_0757.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_0760.JPG
    100_0760.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 100_0758.JPG
    100_0758.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_0756.JPG
    100_0756.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_0754.JPG
    100_0754.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 68
No need for apologies! What is not to be excited about? Bet Grandpa is excited in heaven also that his tools are being appreciated. That is cool! Don't know if I would do a full on "refinish". Each knick and scratch is a story.

Definitely a treasure worth preserving.
As for refinishing, I have mixed feelings on that. I understand what Johnathon is saying. But, on the other hand, the full beauty of what it was originally cannot be shown unless it is refinished.
I think I would go for it without too-too much sanding.
I have seen those curvy, adjustable planes. Wat are they used for? :huh:

Eventually I will do a little refinish on the box, but I also hope to learn how to use and maintain the tools as well. I'll post some more picks of the contents soon...I will be making some new chisel handles for sure!

(sorry for the long winded post, but I'm pretty excited about this,:D)

Jeff,
that's a real treasure chest! Go easy on the restoration, just enough so that it doesnt deteriorate, it looks great as it is to my eyes. Antiques collectors term that look 'patina' and removing it beyond basic maintenance is generally a 'bad thing'. Nice score, and enjoy using the tools when you get around to that!

Another one on leaving it as is, it tells its history.I would be hard pressed to alter it. Wow that is for sure the treasure box of treasure boxes, I bet you feel a closeness with your granddad every time you hold and use one of them:thumb::thumb::thumb:

the curvy plane is called a compass plane, i think its a 112 or 113 this one is the second generation of them but still i keeper.. that no. 7 stanley is also a keeper.. not that any of the others arent but those two are sought after jeff.. i wouldnt change the box. i am williun to wager that it looked pretty similar a few years after it was used by your grandfather. i have a couple from my great uncle and granfather and neither of them are in as good of shape as yours is:thumb::thumb::thumb: the stories are there nw but if you refinish it they will disappear. if yu can get some pics of the guy with it on the truck or in use grab them it will make the value even more so jeff...keep it in the family.. to many times these things get taken form the family by wheeler dealers and then its gone and so is the history..

Thanks for the hints about not doing to much to the tool box. I'm not going to do to much to it. Just a few fixes so it will stay together.

This weekend I will take everything out and get a good look at what is all in there and share some more pics. The chisels have been used/sharpened so much there isn't a whole lot of metal left, but I will be sharpening them, with some help of someone who knows how to properly do it.

Back then (before plastic tool boxes) a real craftsmans reputation was made by his tool box as well as his work. By the looks of it Grandpa was a real pro.
I'm sure Grandpa is looking down right now with a big smile on his face.

That is just too cool!!

Man, that is a great story! And now you have a piece of family history right in your shop.

Like others have said, I think your Grandpop would be mighty satisfied to see those tools in your hands! Carry on the tradition and use them well.

Hey Jeff, when you get a moment would you mind taking some pictures of your tool box, outside of that cabinet you have it in?

I am building a prototype of something similar based on the following photos that found on the Internet:

32x17x8_Box1.jpg

32x17x8_Box3.jpg

32x17x8_Box9.jpg

32x17x8_Box6.jpg

32x17x8_Box4.jpg

I am liking how your old toolbox looks and might be interested in making a copy of it.

Thanks for the hints about not doing to much to the tool box. I'm not going to do to much to it. Just a few fixes so it will stay together.

This weekend I will take everything out and get a good look at what is all in there and share some more pics. The chisels have been used/sharpened so much there isn't a whole lot of metal left, but I will be sharpening them, with some help of someone who knows how to properly do it.

OK Jeff, I guess I'm going to go against most of the others, (so what's new):D, BUT.... only a little different.

The box can be restored with VERY Little effort, AND in a way that ALL the scratches and dents remain, but the Dirty spots will be cleaned up AND the finish that is on it now will be spread to cover and kinda seal the areas where the finish is worn off. This will help preserve the box yet keep the history and stories intact.

I have used this method on a number of desks, chairs wooden card file boxes/cabinets, etc.

What I'm talking about is "Formbys" refinisher. I know a lot will say just use some thinner or something, and maybe it would work and maybe not, as I don't know exactly what the Formbys has in it for sure, but I DO KNOW that it works exactly as advertised if you follow the directions on the can.

Basically you pour a SMALL amount into a small dish or jar lid then dip some 0000 steel wool in it and lightly rub it around in a circular motion and it dissolves the finish, floats the grime away and spreads the finish over the bare spots. It dries quickly and does not even disturb the wood or its scars at all but leaves a nice clean look as the original finish would have. I think you would be very pleased with the look of it if you would give it a try. As I said, it is Very easy and quick to do and gives almost "Instant Gratification", (kinda like you turning guys get from a quick project.:D

Note: If there are some areas that still have some of the dirty look or streaks when it dries, do it again in that area with some clean refinisher, making sure you clean the steel wool too before reapplying.

Congratulations on a GREAT hand me down, both the box AND the tools. I keep my eyes open for one of those compass planes, but never seem to come across one anywhere in my neck of the woods.

Bill, I will take some more pics and post them for you. There are some parts similar to your pics.

Norman, I might try that on a few spots on the back to see how it looks. I already have the Formby stuff and it does work well

Thanks Larry for the info about the planes. :thumb:

I will use the tools someday!

Norman, I'm glad you like Formby's.
My opinion is that it is a worthless product. It is basically beeswax dissolved in turpentine. Admittedly with a couple other things added.
Formby is a good friend of a good friend of mine. I have never met Mr. Formby and am told he is a great guy. But, his product is, IMHO, wuthless. I have tried it extensively testing here and there according to instructions. The best, and worst, I can say about it is that it does nothing.
It is also quite expensive, a small bottle is $15.00 to $20.00 depending on where you buy it.

Norman, I'm glad you like Formby's.
My opinion is that it is a worthless product. It is basically beeswax dissolved in turpentine. Admittedly with a couple other things added.
Formby is a good friend of a good friend of mine. I have never met Mr. Formby and am told he is a great guy. But, his product is, IMHO, wuthless. I have tried it extensively testing here and there according to instructions. The best, and worst, I can say about it is that it does nothing.
It is also quite expensive, a small bottle is $15.00 to $20.00 depending on where you buy it.

Aha,....... that must be the reason it didn't work for you, Frank, I buy mine in a "can".:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jeff that sure was a good sign from your Dad when he let you have his Dads tools. To me its the coming of age.

Just seeing all the posts here about this event and the toolbox made me realize again why i like his forum. Where else can you go to find like minded people that care about events and gifts like this.:thumb:

I was given the same and did some refurbishing on mine. I saw it as a sort of running repair to keep the keepsake going to last for the next gen. Adding something along the way.

Couple of things i thought of at the time that you might want to think about. My Dad was around 80 at the time that he handed down the goodies, my Grandfather would have probably been at least 120 years old by then had he been around. So i figured the wood that was used was a good hundred years old or more and that is simply when it was harvested.

Sure is the oldest wood in my shop today.

Oh and ya know i often think my Grandad is watching over me when i am woodworking and some days find myself making a comment to him when i make a boo boo promising to be more patient and cautious next time.

Have a great time with the box and clean up all the tools. Thank your Dad again for letting you have them.

What a blessing. I'd suggest doing the repairs that need doing, touching up the light spots with a little dye and then give it a couple of coats of shellac. You know to try it on a spot before doing the whole thing but I'll bet you will be pleased.
DP