hinges...

Dan Noren

Staff member
is there an easy way to install them on a box? they are the bane of my existance. i tried to install some on the jewelry box for the wife, and even after making sure everything was all squared up, and holes drilled and filled nicely, the top, when closed, is off on enough of an angle to be noticed. i hate hinges....:bang:

i do that too don, and i use a countersink bit, very gently, to make sure that the hole is centered. something is off by a whisker somewhere. i'm almost ready to use mortise free hinges. grrr....

I made a box with hinges. Once. :p

Now I have a lathe and don't worry about them. :rofl:

Seriously, it sounds like you're doing the right things. I think the only way they get easy is with practice.

Not sure how big the box is, but might try some barrel hinges. Drill the hole in the sides with the depth a little longer than the height of the hinge prior to gluing the top on. Once the top is attached, part the lid half the depth of the holes on the band saw. Holes will be perfectly aligned.

Same problem here, whenever i have to install a piano hinge i get the DT's...so many holes to screw up.

Anyone notice the guy on the cover of the latest Rockler catalog? I know its a staged picture but really, casually routing out tiny mortises one handed with a smile on your face:rofl::rofl:

the worst thing about little hinges on boxes, is that you spend so much time making the box, making it right, then the last step, the final step is putting on the hardware. ONe false move, uh oh..........

thanks glenn, i think i'll give that a try before i get too radical in trying to save this box...:thumb:

No worries. When I goof a hinge screw, I glue a piece of wooden Q-tip stick in the hole, let it dry over night and re-drill. A piece of tape goes on each leaf of the hinge so, 4 pieces for two hinges. I will generally peel the protective strip from one side of the hinge, position and press. Then peel the other half and press it to stick. I can then test open and close the lid a few times to be sure I am happy.

Re-clamp and mark/drill as required. Part of the trick for me is supporting the lid with blocks so that when I press the self-centering bit down, I don't mis-align the lid while drilling (the clamps and tape won't hold it, they're just for alignment). I find a stack of varying thickness scraps can usually be found that will serve this purpose. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited: