Black Maple HF with Frosted Final

Sometimes I luck out and the final product matches what I initially envision. This is one of those pieces!

We have a juried Art Show coming up this November, held in Escanaba, MI., that is open to all Upper Peninsula artists. I have been toying with the idea of entering but wanted something a little different than my normal Southwestern style of hollow form. This is what I came up with.

Black Maple HF v1.JPG Black Maple HF v2.JPG Black Maple HF v4.JPG

Maple hollow form, sanded to 400 grit, ebonized using black RIT dye mixed with DNA. The finial is clear acrylic and sanding was stopped at 280 grit so that it has that frosted look and not clear. The piece is 6 ¾” in diameter x 7” high to the top of the finial x 3/16” thick. Finish consists of about 10 light coats of Minwax Gloss Wipe-On Poly. I will let it dry for a week or so and then buff out just the HF portion.

If this piece meets with everyone’s approval – it will need to be named before entering it into the jury selection. Appreciate any ‘Artful’ name suggestions as I always draw a blank!

As always, your comments, critiques and opinions are welcomed!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Very cool (and unique) concept, Steve. :clap: I like the contrast in textures, as well as colors. I can see some Keith Burns influence in the angled end of the finial, but instead of copying his style, you used it to influence your own. :thumb: I'm drawing a blank for name suggestions, though. Maybe something completely off the wall like "1581 Miles Northeast". (Which happens to be the distance from Harvey MI to Santa Fe NM.) :p

Critique-wise, there's something about how the base of the finial flows into the HF that's not sitting right to my eye. I think it's the angle of the base compared to the angle of the HF top. I think if the base of the finial was thinner/shorter/flatter, the line would flow better from the top of the vessel up into the finial. I also think the southwest-style lip around the opening of the HF might be contributing to the interruption in flow. It's still a great piece; I just wear the extra-picky glasses for someone at your level of turning. (And would hope you'd do the same for me.) ;)

Chocolate n cream.

The color appears more like a dark brown in the pictures.

I think the bottom part of the finial could have used a bit of an inward curve. But then the lip of the HF would have to change as well.

Overall, a marvelous peice.

Thanks for the kind words everyone - I really appreciate it!

Vaughn - as usual, your observations are right on the money! One of these days I will figure out how to do this stuff! Just FYI - I turned the hollow form and then walked over and dyed it and took it out to the garage to dry. Then I turned the finial. When the hollow form was dry - the finial had already been completed and all I did was a test fit. Yup, southwest form has a lip - should have removed it but I was on automatic when I turned it! LOL

Oh well, I still like the effect of mixed medias and will keep experimenting. Now I'm starting to think about color........ LOL, always something!!!

Thanks again everyone!

PS - glad the fire situation is finally over! Sure makes something that is happening on the other side of the country a whole lot more personable when you have friends that are directly affected!

I'm not at a level where I would feel comfortable doing a critique on someone else's work, that is a beautiful piece. If I were qualified to do a critique, I think I would agree with Vaughn, the upturn on the HF does throw the piece off a little... if the HF were flatter around the lip, the finial would flow better. But since I'm not qualified to critique... I'll just say the only thing that comes to mind..... WOW!

If I were to come up with a name, I think Pete has the right idea..

How about Ice and Ebony

How about Ice and Ebony

Or (not to be too obvious) ... Black Ice?

Black Frost? ... Black and White? Hmmmm.

OK - how about:
Upward Longings
Ascension
The Pit and the Pendulum (Uhhh, where did that come from? :dunno:)
Fiber Optic Curve ("Fiber Optic" plus "Optic Nerve"? :dunno:)
Light to Night
A Short Acrylic Journey into Night

Last edited:
Frosted final

Hi Steve,

That is absolutely beautiful! Please forgive my ignorance, but can you also turn glass with a lath? If you can, then this is the first time I heard about it.

Francis