Gonna get a bunch of wood

Frank Fusco

Some of y'all might remember me talking about my good friend, Len, who was a masters-master woodcarver. Len had a serious stroke a few years ago, ended up in a nursing home and then passed away about one year ago. I had spent a lot of time talking with his wife, now widow, about Len and helped her out when he was in the nursing home. She has been very grateful and last week she told me she is writing a (large) check for the
Shriners Hospital for Children. That really touched me since the Shrine is one of my main avocations and philanthropies. Then, as we talked about Len, she asked me if I wanted wood. Len had a large shop building just chock full of tools and wood, lots and lots of wood. I had assumed the wood was gone because so many of Len's friends were woodcarvers. The children took the tools but the wood remains. All kinds with a large percentage being Basswood. I told her I would look at it. If she wants me to take all :eek: I'M going to have to get another barn. I'll probably take it, stack somewhere then parcel out to friends.
When/if it happens, there will be pictures.
BTW, as we talked, she mentioned his collection of wood carvings in the house. There must be a thousand, all Len originals. And all spectacular. I suggested she put a sign out front saying "Dillon Museum of Wood Carvings" and charge admission.

Good for you. I use Basswood on occasion and like it. Fine Woodworking said it was one of the top 5 underused woods out there.

Good luck in making fine projects from your new stash of wood.

I'd suspect Len would have wanted the wood to go to someone who'd see to it that was used and appreciated. Sounds like his widow feels the same way.

I also like your idea about a museum. If not at the house (which could be real impractical), perhaps there's a gallery or museum that would be interested in some type of permanent display.

I'd suspect Len would have wanted the wood to go to someone who'd see to it that was used and appreciated. Sounds like his widow feels the same way.

I also like your idea about a museum. If not at the house (which could be real impractical), perhaps there's a gallery or museum that would be interested in some type of permanent display.

The idea of a museum at the house was in jest.
The family might have their own ideas about what to do with the carvings. No local facility that could put them up permanently.
Some (most) are so spectacular they leave the viewer speechless.

The idea of the museum would allow the pieces remain together and be admired by many people apart from giving his widow another source of income.