Cedar Bowl

Pete Jordan

I did this bowl without allowing drying time. My friend said cedar wouldn't warp much and so far he has been right. It is 12 x 5 with AO on it.

All comments and critiques welcome.

Attachments

• DSC00198.jpg
    DSC00198.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC00200.jpg
    DSC00200.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00201.jpg
    DSC00201.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00202.jpg
    DSC00202.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00203.jpg
    DSC00203.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 35
That's a very sweet bowl.. wonderful color and shape... hopefully some of my cedar will look that good. I've only done a couple of small pieces so far and they only warped slightly.

Bet the shop smells great too.

Peter,

What species of cedar is that? On the left coast, we have Incense-cedar (Calocedrus decurrens). Is this the same thing you are using?

ok pete, the bowl looks great... i have a rennie coming in from idaho on the 29th if yu have a mind to meet him paul downes and steve ash are coming perjhaps yu could hitch a ride with them:)

Last edited:
That bowl looks great, Pete. :thumb: Now that you have it finished, a bit of minor warping won't be too detrimental anyway. Chuck beat me to the "your shop must smell great" comment. :D

I'll ask again: What species of cedar is that? On the left coast, we have Incense-cedar (Calocedrus decurrens). Is this the same thing you are using?

Looks very much like Eastern Red-cedar Juniperus virginiana

My guess from the photo... please don't flame an old "Plant taxonomist"

paul :wave:

Looks very much like Eastern Red-cedar Juniperus virginiana

My guess from the photo... please don't flame an old "Plant taxonomist"

paul :wave:

Would have been my guess too ... I had some trees taken down last spring by the power company that were threatening their overhead lines and they were of this variety... Hope I can do a much justice to my cedar as Pete did his.