FAIR Enough...

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
I put a few items in the Canfield Fair (biggest fair in Ohio) this year, and did pretty well. Got one first, three seconds, and an Honorable Mention - five items, five ribbons. Not bad, eh?

Attachments

• Quilt Block Box.JPG
    Quilt Block Box.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Jewelry Box.JPG
    Jewelry Box.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Snake.JPG
    Snake.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Plaque.JPG
    Plaque.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Bandsaw Box.JPG
    Bandsaw Box.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 84
Way to GO, Jim.:thumb::thumb::thumb: I can't believe "MY favorite", (the curly Maple & walnut box) didn't get a Best of Show, or at least another First Place though.:D

Corn-Graduations :thumb:

Some impressive goodies there. Ribbons and braggin' rights... what America's Fairs are all about.

I wander through the exhibits and think, I can do that, or I want to make one of those, or that goes on the list....

Never had the gumption to actually do it and enter, Hats off to ya... even w/o the ribbons, you entered, I didn't, so You win.... :thumb:

Congrats Jim:thumb: All nice pieces. My favorite is the curlie maple box also:thumb: Good to see you used some of your curlie maple stock, man it has some great figure to it:)

so very nice work jim:thumb::thumb::thumb: how did yu do the rooster???

I guess you'd call it 'onlay.' The silhouette is walnut, about a quarter inch thick. The comb and wattles are bloodwood, and the rest is yellowheart, about an eighth of an inch thick, all with slightly rounded edges, that is just glued onto the walnut.

They had a special category for this piece, since it's the fair's logo.

Like several others have said, my actual favorite was/is the maple and walnut jewelry box, but the judges obviously felt differently. The first place winner in that category was a very nice maple hall table.

Five out of five entries and the only thing you say is "fair enough"'??

Either there wasn't anybody else in the contest or you have some problem man!!

Congratulations on all of them, The one I like most is the four legged box with curly maple.:thumb::thumb:

Jim, I don't understand. You make a small chest, the wood moves, it cracks right down the middle and it still wins a commendation?

No really, congrats, and nicely done sir.

I too think the BS box deserves more than honorable mention. but IMHO the finish was the key, although many of us like a rubbed look or suttle oil finish etc, I think the judges are WoWed by a high gloss. Personally I think the cracked box would look great with a high gloss finish, Some Bling and Sparkle. Yet it is your personal opinion that works in the end.... Thanks for posting, really enjoyed seeing them all.