a question about pens and such...

Dan, do you mean pinched in the middle? I don’t care for that look. I prefer a sleek line from end to end. But what do I know? :dunno: I’ve never turned a pen (yet).

that's the way i am chuck. when i make one of the flat tops, i like the straight lines, and when one of the mount blancs, just a slightly arching taper to each end.

I've always preferred making pens without the bulges in the middle of each barrel, but I received a couple of them with bulges from Mark Brown in a swap a while back, and they are the daily users on my desk. I've found they're real comfortable to use.

I think it all ends up being a personal preference thing, much like the different shapes of bowls or hollow forms.

Depends on my mood, the wood, the pen style, temp of the day, if the dog is laying on my feet or beside my leg on the shape of my pens! :huh::p:rofl::rofl:
Really the first three do determine the shape to a large degree for me. I try to stay away from turning the same ole thing/shape each time. With my shop build, my lathe hasn't been turned on (both electrically and physically :rofl:) all summer. I am going through withdrawals.

I belong to two penturning forums and have noticed over the years that beginners invariably make their first several pens, usually Slimlines, wasp waisted. And, often, they put in a lot of other bulgies and curves. And, gotta confess, that's what I did with my first. I believe it may just be the fun of actually doing something with the lathe for the first time that they get carried away trying all that 'stuff'. Granted, the pens are mud ugly. But, most who continue making pens get away from that and develop other, more attractive, styles.