The Collection is growing

Chas Jones

______
________A follow on from the "Breakfast Companions" thread..____Click on images for larger view.
________
________There are however local differences in preference for colour of wood
________or more correctly combination or otherwise of woods.
________I would be interested if there is an overriding forum member preference .
______
________
________
________Comments on members preferences would be appreciated.
_____A______B_
_____C______D_
_______As a matter of interest all the dark wood is the same colour, just my photography that is off.

first thought was the A version charles but as i looked them again i started to go with C.. reasoning-- A is a graing looking wood and like grain and color but it gets lost in its saucer. but as for C i like the richness of the light wood which looks clean and the cup can with stand some staining and still look good wher the white cup could get stained easily if used for liquides charles..

Definitely "C". I like the contrast of the dark cup on light wood. While the saucer is important to the set, the dark cup brings a focus to it.

An added thought. I like "A" but it feels "busy". If the "A" cup were on the "D" saucer and vice-versa, I think I'd like them better.

;)

Last edited:
Won't be the first time I'm the odd man out, but my preferences are D, followed by A. In the versions with contrasting wood, the cup and saucer seem to be fighting for my attention, and that fight detracts from the overall form (and function) of the two pieces combined.

It's sort of as if B and C are saying:
"Look! I'm a cup!"
"Well, I'm a saucer!"
"No, a cup!"
"No, a saucer, I say!"

But A and particularly D are saying:
"Hi. We're here to hold your egg."

This isn't to imply that contrast is bad. I just think in this case it feels unbalanced. If there was a way you could have a third element in the piece (i.e., a lid, wghich would make no sense for an egg cup, or using contrasting layers for the cup), I think it could have the contrast and feel more balanced. Here's an example of what I mean...to me, the three layers look better than two:

Contrast Example.jpg

Vaughn:
It's sort of as if B and C are saying:

"Look! I'm a cup!"
"Well, I'm a saucer!"
"No, a cup!"
"No, a saucer, I say!"

But A and particularly D are saying:

"Hi. We're here to hold your egg."

Interesting observations, all for the sake of an egg, glad the chickens are not involved.

The colour banding-matching has been mentioned elsewhere and has been considered but I'm currently having enough trouble matching them in plain wood.
Worth an experiment though when this batch have flown the coup.

D, A, C, B

I like the tone on tone better than the contrasting pieces, although the wood in A just seems a bit 'busy' for my tastes in such a relatively small piece. larger scale would help with that 'course' a grain pattern.

that being said, it Is a matter of splitting hairs, they're all very nice aesthetically otherwise, but since you asked, those are my thoughts and 'rating' as it were.

I am like Bernie. I like them all.:thumb: If I had to choose one I think I would go with C. But its very hard to choose. This makes me say you have a good variety which will result in a item to appeal to all tastes. Just like red yellow black blue cars etc.

Vaughn does make a good point.

So my question would be is there merit in making this a segmented turning? Where the segments are not stacked but run vertical.

That would make the blocks needed for the cup pretty easy to glue up.:huh:

Rob & Vaughn, with regard to the colour balance of the mixed woods I looked back at the original post showing the cup in use.

If I can talk recipients into buying the correct coloured Eggs then all should be well.:)

________

As an aside, the preferences shown are showing a different trend to those expressed in the UK, will post comparison after a day or so.

Well this is the consensus so far, don't know that it will influence which or what set goes where but it is interesting to note a distinct difference in preference across the pond.
egg.JPG

______
________The first dozen, and a couple of spares.____Click on image for larger view.
________
________
________
___________Beech and Bubinga