really annoying noise

Frank Fusco

A road is being built at a subdivision more than a half mile from my house. At the beginning of the week I started hearing low pitched rumbling noises right at 7 a.m and lasting until dark. I drove over there and found a bulldozer and a grader at work making the noise.
What amazes me, though, is how bad the noise is. My house is about a 1/4 mile above a creek, on the other side are cliffs about 40 feet high, beyond that is a ridge and more than another 1/4 mile past all that is where the work is being done.
They have a right to be there, and I know they won't be there forever. But noise like that, affecting such a large area is unreasonable. I don't know the answer other than better mufflers for the big diesel machines.
Color me annoyed.

I wonder if the geology is helping with that ... sound travels pretty well through solid rock, maybe the sound is actually transmitting through the ground?

There may not be a solution - maybe they could hang giant sound curtains between them and civilization? :p

Are you sure they weren't using a vibratory roller, too? The rumble from those can travel a long way, especially if it's over solid rock.

Are you sure they weren't using a vibratory roller, too? The rumble from those can travel a long way, especially if it's over solid rock.

I only saw a large dozer and a grader.
Sound started again at 7 a.m. today. I said "annoying", that is an understatement, I can feel the vibes.
I do have a supply of black tip '06 ammo. Mebbe a night time visit.......:bang:

if they're running underground gas lines and such, they could be using a type of boring machine that makes the hole by ramming it's way through the dirt. when i was at the old apartment, they ran some new gas lines under the street and our parking lot. the old apt was a basement level apt, and trust me, when they started in the morning, i was literally shook awake.

Not sure what that means. Yer safe though. ;)
If you remember my first Aparto renovation, the Northside Neighbour was a bother, always complaining about every little thing, calling the cops/fire department/immigration etc on my various times, a real pain in the neck.

I'm joking about you being like that................ right......... ;) :eek: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

If you remember my first Aparto renovation, the Northside Neighbour was a bother, always complaining about every little thing, calling the cops/fire department/immigration etc on my various times, a real pain in the neck.

I'm joking about you being like that................ right......... ;) :eek: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don't remember that. But, I not complaining about "little thing" or a pain in the "neck". This is a stomach and head ache thing. Some human rights groups call being subjected to low pitched sounds for extended periods of time torture. I'm inclined to agree at this point. Ear plugs wouldn't even help since my body can feel the vibes.

I feel sorry for you Frank. You are right, that it won't last forever.

The link that Jeff posted (Thanks Jeff) can give an idea of what I have been trying to tell friends and relatives that I have been hearing for years, 24/7. I have Tinnitus pretty bad in both ears, and I have now found something I can use to demonstrate what I hear.

I doubt that you will have any long lasting damage from that construction noise Frank, but I do hope it gets done quickly.

Peace & Tranquility.

Aloha, Tony

rumble, rumble

Today is Sunday. Supposedly a day of peace and quiet (aside from the NFL on TV). But, they are at it on that road that is being built. The vibrations and rumbling are constant and pervasive. Beyond annoying. Earlier I drove past, and, yes, they are now using a vibrating roller. Big thing. It is raining and the fine crush base is down so I'm pretty sure this is a good time to roll and compact. Good for them. I'm still very amazed that this noise and vibration is traveling so far, especially over hill and dale and through trees and such.
Instead of the black tips, I am now considering a more up close and personal approach with the shotgun.