115 year old dies

I don't know the specifics of the situation, but in many juristidctions if someone dies and is not under the care of a doctor who's willing to sign the death certificate, an autopsy is required by law.

Also, old people are murdered as well as young people. If there were suspicious circumstances about the death, an autopsy is appropriate. It's the same murder charge if a 115 year old is killed as if a 20 year old is killed. Claiming "S/he wouldn't have lived much longer anyway" will not get you out of a murder charge.

Mike

I don't know the specifics of the situation, but in many juristidctions if someone dies and is not under the care of a doctor who's willing to sign the death certificate, an autopsy is required by law.

Also, old people are murdered as well as young people. If there were suspicious circumstances about the death, an autopsy is appropriate. It's the same murder charge if a 115 year old is killed as if a 20 year old is killed. Claiming "S/he wouldn't have lived much longer anyway" will not get you out of a murder charge.

Mike

True. The example often used is, if you are on the second floor of the Empire State building and a man falling down goes past your window and you shoot out just as he flys by you are still guilty of murder even though he would have hit the ground and die about one second later.
But, the news stories about the old lady did not indicate foul play. Reports said heart failure was suspected. Again, 115 years old...."Duh".....

Frank, actually that would me manslaughter, committing an illegal act resulting in the death of another, without intent. Now, the oldest person, 113, lives in Japan. She is staying away from the Empire State Building.:D

But I get your point.

Frank, actually that would me manslaughter, committing an illegal act resulting in the death of another, without intent. Now, the oldest person, 113, lives in Japan. She is staying away from the Empire State Building.:D

But I get your point.

If this thread, which I foolishly started, gets much longer, it WILL be murder with intent. ;)