Tap and Dye set for Hollowing question

Dan Mosley

I am going to make some hollowing tools on my own when i get a chance and was looking for some guidence on a couple items.

1). HF has a titanium coated alloy steel tap and dye set that i was looking at buying. Item #41452-or 414521

Should I get the SA or the Metric set ?

2). I assume local true value or hardware stores will carry the set screws

I know some of you have already made these hollowing tools so i thought i would see what other thoughts you have or issues you have run into

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
I'm in Japan, so I use metric, and I bought a cheap $20 tap and die set about 15 years ago, I think I've replaced one tap that I broke a small one, but otherwise the set just simply works :dunno: I almost wish it would all fall apart, so I could justify buying a really nice set, but this cheap set works, so there you are.

I guess it would boil down to what set screws are readily available to you, that would be the set to get :dunno:

best of luck with it all, building your own tools can become as addictive as turning itself :D

I don't think it makes much difference if you have SAE or metric. I'd go with whatever matches the set screws your local hardware store carries.

Keep in mind that as well as taps, you'll need drill bits to match. Although I've got a couple partial tap sets that I've inherited from various sources, and multiple generations worth of drill bits, when I did my 1/2" boring bars a while back, I just bought a single tap and drill bit set in the size I needed for about $4 or $5. Most hardware stores have this type of set (often from Vermont American) in various sizes. In my limited experience, I've only used maybe 3 or 4 different tap sizes, even though I've got sets that cover a wide range.

Although this link is for a set of 13 taps and bits, you can find the single versions mounted on display cards hanging in the rack by the drill bits at the hardware store.

http://www.vermontamerican.com/Products/productdetail.html?CID=108

(This page might be real slow to load...at least it is tonight.)

For me, I prefer metric 8 mm socket set screws. I have to carry a 4 mm hex key for my Nova chuck and Oneway, Kelton handles. One less key to carry in the rear pocket and I can pull out the correct key each time.
What you already have determines what is the best for you.

Tap and dye sets

You can go to ENCO as they have the good stuff,I got a tap and drill for drilling stainless steel and it wasn't a bad price,but usually if I need one I go to lowes or home depot.I would stay away from HF as there are junk tap and dye sets are junk. (sorry)

Thanks - I know the local hardware stores carry Vermont American tools so ill look for a small set and screws........thanks to all
Enco is also a good site and ill look thru there online site also

I am going to make some hollowing tools on my own when i get a chance and was looking for some guidence on a couple items.

Should I get the SA or the Metric set ?

2). I assume local true value or hardware stores will carry the set screws

Dan

Dan, It probably will come down to what is your own preference.. SAE or Metric... even in my little town, the local hardware has set screws in both..

Dan, just another idea...David Ellsworth uses CA glue to hold his cutters in place. He says he has had problems with the set screws becoming clogged and rusted due to turning wet wood. I've had this problem as well. You can remove them by heating the rod/glue holding them with a torch.

I tried this with a hand held hollower and it has held just fine even with some heavy, lathe stalling, hogging out. If and when I make more hollowing tools I will stick witht he CA glue.

Jeff - Yes i see what your saying - During a class were i used the Derry hollowing system is where i first saw bits held in place using CA glue. At first i thought it was a cheap way to secure bits on a nice hollowing system.
After using the hollowing tool i changed my mind quickly and was amazed how well it was holding and how easy it was to change bits in the bar by heating it up. I was sure wrong about what i thought and is a fast easy way to secure the cutter in place.
I just have to think of a way to put a slice into the end of the bar in order to hold rounded cutters but i may try this approach......Thanks Dan