Entry in FWW Contest

Gave you my thumbs up Mike but I am stuck for words. You certainly are an inspiration to have around here. :thumb:

Larry you sure are astute to spot the dovetails. I am still getting there. But Mike your explanation I understood cause i built a draw back at high school and wondered why we put the groove for the bottom so far from the bottom. Today i got the answer. Dont think the teacher even knew at the time.:D:thumb:

Where is that piece going to end up Mike? Is this a piece you intend to use at home or is it a commission for someone.? Those carvings are unreal.

Best of luck in the contest.

Oh Mike went back for another look see andit made me think (duh) those draw fronts I guess the piece that you cut them from was around 2.5 inches thick or are there two layers?

Last edited:
Gave you my thumbs up Mike but I am stuck for words. You certainly are an inspiration to have around here. :thumb:

Larry you sure are astute to spot the dovetails. I am still getting there. But Mike your explanation I understood cause i built a draw back at high school and wondered why we put the groove for the bottom so far from the bottom. Today i got the answer. Dont think the teacher even knew at the time.:D:thumb:

Where is that piece going to end up Mike? Is this a piece you intend to use at home or is it a commission for someone.? Those carvings are unreal.

Best of luck in the contest.

Oh Mike went back for another look see andit made me think (duh) those draw fronts I guess the piece that you cut them from was around 2.5 inches thick or are there two layers?

Thanks for your kind words, Rob. I actually built that piece a couple of years ago and it's in my house. It was a "challenge piece" I took on to improve my woodworking skills. Took a long time to build it but I learned a awful lot in the process.

The drawers have a piece glued behind the center, where it would be thin. That's the same thing our ancestors did because they needed to be efficient and cost effective. I used 8/4 material for the drawers (plus the glued on piece of 4/4) but you could use 12/4. It would be more expensive and you'd wind up cutting a lot of it away. So our ancestors did exactly what I did - glue a piece on for strength.

And thanks to everyone who considered my entry - special thanks to those who gave it a "thumbs up":) - and thanks for your kind words about the piece. The "thumbs up" are only one thing the judges consider so even if I have the most thumbs up, someone else might win.

I'll let you all know how it comes out.

Mike