The wrong kind of excitement

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
About 7:30 PM local time I was startled by a large bang followed by some screaming in the street. I ran out to help but things were already too far along. My neighbor, Chuck, got out OK as did his 2 dogs - but the house, Harley, and truck are a total loss. All of these were taken from my front lawn.

DSC_0001.jpgDSC_0004.jpgDSC_0006.jpgDSC_0011.jpgDSC_0015.jpgDSC_0017.jpgDSC_0019.jpg

Just to show you what kind of guy Chuck is, he would not get in the ambulance until someone got me from where I was standing and brought me over to talk to him. He wanted to make sure I was OK. Lots of man-hugs and a few tears later we consoled each other having each lost so much.

He'll be OK too.

Wow that is terrible Rennie. I'm glad he and his pets are ok, homes can be rebuillt. Looks like it was in the garage only?
Started in the garage. He's an avid mechanic, does all his own work on his truck and Harley - so it took off pretty fast - gas, solvents, etc. Most of the damage was in the garage, but the house was billowing smoke from every window. Some of it might be salvagable, but it's going to take some major cleaning and rebuilding.

Not a nice scene to see would not wish it on anyone even the NN. Glad to hear Chucks ok and the dogs. Cars etc can be replaced.

What always amazes me is the resources that are available in North America. When i see pictures of the fire and abulance trucks it gets me thinking to back in SA when we would call the cops and get the answer that one car is broken and the other is out on a call. :eek: So you hired your own armed response team. Luckily never needed the fire guys till Canada.

Had a small bush fire in the ravine behind us and called the fire guys. Boy three engines later and two cop cars. I was not complaining it was too near my shop and i was not taking chances. Neither were they and thats the way i like it.:D:thumb:

reminds me of what happened to my cousin. one afternoon he was out in the garage started doing some welding, when all of a sudden the whole thing blew. walls went out about a foot and the roof and rafters came down. he said the only thing that kept him from getting more than a few scratches, was that when he was knocked down, he was under his big bearing press, and the roof came down on that instead of him. it turned out that there was a gas leak in his heater, and the sparks from his welding set it off.

it turned out that there was a gas leak in his heater, and the sparks from his welding set it off.
Something similar here - got word from the fire inspector - started near the furnace and in the excitement trying to put it out a gas can was knocked over. Then they opened the garage door and POOF! Inside door to the house was open as well so the house is also a loss.

Glad nobody was hurt, that should remind all of us extreme caution when welding, grinding or any other potential fire cause, our shops are full of flammable things, paint, solvents, and wood, all that can be replaced as it has been said, lives can't.

Wow, that sure would be a lousy way to start the day :eek:

Once they catch, they sure go fast don't they :(

I really do think that attached garages should be for parking cars in only, I know that is now always possible, but if you are going to weld etc, take it out in the driveway. I know that some of you will think that is odd coming from me with all the stuff I do down in the dungeon, but the Dungeon is all concrete. God forbid if I ever had a fire down there (touch wood twice) it would be contained down there, as there is not much else to burn, nice thing about concrete :rolleyes:

Glad you buddy is safe, I sure hope he has insurance etc.

Cheers!

Rennie, Sorry for your neighbor's loss, but as has been said, houses can be rebuilt and things replaced. No injuries or loss of life is a good thing.

Reminds me of several fire scenes I encountered in my days as a fire fighter. Not pretty sights.

Kind of makes a point for installing fire sprinklers in a home seem like a real good idea, even for Stuart. While his concrete may not burn, everything in the dungeon might, including him. Rather be wet than burned.

Back when I was a member of the New York State Association of Fire Chiefs, we had a slogan that went with our residential fire sprinkler promotion program. "Houses under water, Don't burn". They work and do save lives and property.

Please excuse my highjack Rennie.

Aloha, Tony

Rennie, Sorry for your neighbor's loss, but as has been said, houses can be rebuilt and things replaced. No injuries or loss of life is a good thing.

Reminds me of several fire scenes I encountered in my days as a fire fighter. Not pretty sights.

Kind of makes a point for installing fire sprinklers in a home seem like a real good idea, even for Stuart. While his concrete may not burn, everything in the dungeon might, including him. Rather be wet than burned.

Back when I was a member of the New York State Association of Fire Chiefs, we had a slogan that went with our residential fire sprinkler promotion program. "Houses under water, Don't burn". They work and do save lives and property.

Please excuse my highjack Rennie.

Aloha, Tony

Boy Tony do I agree with you about the sprinklers, but they are just not done here, the only place you will see them are in large public buildings, they are rare even in office towers :doh: Even in schools you seldom see them, unless the school is very new :dunno:

I don't get it, as here, in Japan, they are very concerned about fires, but the lack of simple sprinkler systems makes me wonder..... :huh:

Wow. I can't add much that hasn't already been said, but I'm glad your neighbor and dogs got out OK. Scary stuff.

Thank God no one was hurt -- the rest is just inconvenience.

My hats off to all the Firefighters, Rescue, and Police -- We appreciate you ALL of the time, not just when we need you.

Tony

glad yur ok rennie!! and the neighbor as well.. the civil servants be it police or fire fighters deserve the utmost respect for what they do and put up with daily..