How many here make their living doing woodworking ?

How many family member make their living as woodworkers ?

• Yes I do

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Nope I don't

Votes: 53 88.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Voted nope, but wish there were a button for "thinking about it", or, "might give it a try", or, "scared to death about making the commitment".

Rennie,
Go for it, I've seen your work. The hardest part is getting your name out there.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Don. Actually, one of the things I hope to educate myself on during my trip is the feasibility of going it alone. Many of those I'll meet do this either part or full time. I hope to learn much.

Rennie,
It's realy a matter of finding your nitch. I used to hate finishing. When I was out of work I started doing finishing and restorations as a way of making some income. I still prefer building furniture and hope eventualy to do that and only finish what I build. I told my daughter In Law the other day that I can build a piece and finish one faster then I can refinish one.

I'm with Frank - not making a living but picking up some extra money making furniture, carving and doing veneer work. Just about anything woodworking related.

I'd hate to have to live off it, however.

Mike

[I didn't vote because I fall in between.]

I am also with Frank, but am trying to gear up and run a business. I have all the paperwork done and am working on building up inventory and putting together a web site....................retirement from the first career was not planned and though I currently receive a pension I can't rely on that to be there forever. I actually think I may do better than working for someone else..........how deluded is that?:D

I was self employed for 14 years. I started a woodworking business 4 years ago and it ended up ruining me financially. I have to work for someone else now for a lot less than I used to make. I hope to be self employed again someday, but the wood business kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited:
I'm another in-betweener. I make some money with wood stuff, but not nearly enough to live on. I do have a seller's license and the other various trappings of a business, but unless a good niche and I find each other, I don't expect woodworking to make me a living.

Nope.
a) no niche
b) four kids and a wife that depend on my income, so the first year of starving to get established just isn't an option
c) dental and pension. ;)
d) afraid it'd turn my hobby into drudgery. :doh:
e) pretty good job already.

I voted no, but I have made a little $$ over the past few years.

I think it would be great to do it full time, but as Bill G. posted once, it's a fun hobby because you can turn what you want. Once it's your job, you have to turn what people will pay you for. Not always fun.

I'm definitely in the 'No' category. I love to tinker out in the shop, and make things for my family and friends, but there's no way I could make a living at it, my bent is more toward capturing light... used to be on film, but now I'm solidly in the digital age of photography. I am, however starting to think seriously about a studio of my own in the not so distant future. Love my current employer, but am planning to migrate in a year or two, and just in case there isn't an opening with the company, need to have a back up plan in place.

I voted NO but I'd like to vote YES.
In fact I'm working towards it, I want to make some 10 pieces and see if I can sell them. On the meantime it is a hobby with a goal.:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.