My Shop Has Gone Green

Jeff Bower

No I'm not putting in a solar panel or geothermal heat....

As most of you know, my dad retired this summer and had been yearning for a new lathe to enjoy in his retirement and a few weeks ago it arrived, 1.5HP Jet 1642. Beautiful machine that purrs along while you slice thru wood. He had asked me if I was interested in his now retired lathe, a Grizzly G0462.

At first I didn't think I wanted it because I didn't think I could find room for it. Then I decided I could make room. This past week the room was made and my shop went green. My plan is to use it to make more delicate pieces as the 'ol Maytag is not as precise as it once was. In the near future, I will be redoing the headstock on it. Lots of ideas on how to do it, just need to figure out how to put them into motion.

Thanks Dad! :thumb:

Attachments

• 100_0873.JPG
    100_0873.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
You had me confused. Why?? :huh:, I thought, would he trade a Grizzly G0632 for a Jet 1642 since the two are near-clones of each other.
Yours, I'm pretty sure, is a G0462.
It is a Reeves drive, not an EVS. But, you got a very good deal and, no doubt, will give you much turning pleasure. It is a good lathe.

You had me confused. Why?? :huh:, I thought, would he trade a Grizzly G0632 for a Jet 1642 since the two are near-clones of each other.
Yours, I'm pretty sure, is a G0462.
It is a Reeves drive, not an EVS. But, you got a very good deal and, no doubt, will give you much turning pleasure. It is a good lathe.

You are correct Frank! It is a G0462! I will edit the OP. I guess I was dreaming about your lathe! :doh:

The Reeves drive does have a low speed that is high, but I will be using it for mostly spindle turning and smaller things. It is a good lathe, my dad turned out lots of great pieces on it!

one thing about it jeff,, this new lathe that you got from dad can possibly teach yu something, its expeirnced for sure:) and the may tag needs to be used as well or grandpa will come back and haunt yu:):thumb::thumb:

Good job both of you!!! It is great reading about you and your dad's relationship and back and forth commentary. Let's see some spindles!

Spindles are new to me...pics will come soon. My dad and I do have fun together...:D

one thing about it jeff,, this new lathe that you got from dad can possibly teach yu something, its expeirnced for sure:) and the may tag needs to be used as well or grandpa will come back and haunt yu:):thumb::thumb:

Don't worry about grandpa's lathe...it will be used plenty even before the headstock gets redone. :thumb:

Maybe no solar panels or geothermal heat, but recycling is green. :D

Congrats in the new acquisition Jeff. (And you too, Wayne.) As far as the low-end speed is concerned, maybe you can use the Maytag to do the initial knocking off of the corners on the blank, then move it over to the Griz. I don't think you'll need to limit yourself to spindle stuff on it. ;)