Little rocker I am restoring.- Done

Don Baer

Staff member
This is a little Rocking Chair that I am restoring for a client. Little rocker.jpgHe wants me to restore it for his wife for a Birthday present. It was her Grandmothers. I'll tighten it up, strip it Re-cane the seat and refinish it. Should take a little less then a day. If anyone would like demensions on any pieces I restore I'd be glad to furnish them. This one is a simple design and might be fun for someone to make.

Last edited:
Not all restorations are simply striping and finishing. I never let anything out of the shop that is not 100% the way it was built. Here is a picture of a leg on the rocker that is cracked. Crack.jpgAnd here is a picture of where a piece has broken off and needs to be replaced.Piece.jpg

Restoration, will they be happy with it cleaned thoroughly and waxed and caned? Will some get unhappy with a tight useable chair but has a couple of pieces replaced (even if they didn't know it until you told them)?
A day?

ok don yu mentioned tighting it up and replace the broke parts.. how do you tighten up and are yu gonna replace the back leg or just glue and reclamp it?
Most pieces like this all the joints are loose and if they tried to use it it would fall apart. I will reglue all the loose joints and glue and clamp the leg.
Restoration, will they be happy with it cleaned thoroughly and waxed and caned? Will some get unhappy with a tight useable chair but has a couple of pieces replaced (even if they didn't know it until you told them)?
A day?
he asked me to recane and refinish so aside from repairing the chair nthats what I will do and he should be happy. I haven't had one yet who was unhappy. whenever I do one of these I always give it a thourgh inspecttion while they are with me and tell him exactly what I intend to do.

OK I finish the rocker today, Rocker3.jpgAs you can see from the picture I decided against pepairing the broken piece, Once I made the replacement piece I found that no matter what I tried I couldn't make the wood color match so I called the customer and we agreed that I would leave it alone.

Great looking rocker Don.

A question if I may, the wowen seat is it actually wowen or is it the one that you buy by the foot and fix it with a rim in a groove?