Fold down ironing board

Bill Simpson

Anyone got a plan for a dropdown Ironing board. some fit inthe wall between studs, etc, and others are surface mounted. I thought of going to Lowes and buying one then make measurements and return the unit. But that would be "Cheating" and too much trouble. I am hoping someone has already done the leg work. How it works is an easy task but the dimensions are the problem. Anyone BTDT? I have searched all the pattern sites and yet, no ironing boards...

I'll be watching this as I have wanted to do this for sometime. The commercial units are way overpriced for their quality level and I just can't spend the cost of a good drill press on an ironing board.

one would think that you would figure what would be the comfortable height for said ironing table, then the width being determined by the studs, and whatever length you want. then hinge it at the wall end, and with a hinge, set up the support to fold under the table. then it's open the door(s), swing the table down to the horizontal, while swinging the support out to the verticle. hope that helps.

whether you mount it in between 2 studs, or against a wall, Id use 2 20-24 inch fold down metal shelf brackets.(they lock into position, wont go down unless you reach under and release the catch) They will hold the push down weight of someone with an iron, I have this heavy sheet of ply, over 20 inches wide, 6 feet long, on 4 12 inch brackets, and I use it as a work table also. Fold down board will probably be no longer than 36 inches, maybe 14-15 inches wide.sorry I didnt have any plans to offer, just my opinion.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1086 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1086 (Medium).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 27
We're going to buy one from HomeDepot... I didn't realize there was such a price difference out there. One we looked at in the store was $169... I see some other ones online (also HD) for north of $400. Not sure what makes them that much better, but for what little ironing we do, the cheapie will be fine. Never occurred to me to make one myself. And now that is has, I think we'll still buy it. :eek:

Anyone got a plan for a dropdown Ironing board. some fit inthe wall between studs, etc, and others are surface mounted. I thought of going to Lowes and buying one then make measurements and return the unit. But that would be "Cheating" and too much trouble. I am hoping someone has already done the leg work. How it works is an easy task but the dimensions are the problem. Anyone BTDT? I have searched all the pattern sites and yet, no ironing boards...

Bill don't have a plan for one ether,but the one we do have is 14x42.here's a pic.the cab was her idea so i just built what she wanted.Dont you just love the honeydos.:D

Attachments

• 005 [800x600].JPG
    005 [800x600].JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 006 [800x600].JPG
    006 [800x600].JPG
    136 KB · Views: 26
  • 007 [800x600].JPG
    007 [800x600].JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 25
Bill, I think I'd try to size the board to fit the pads and covers that are commercially available. It looks like the typical ironing board is somewhere around 14" or 15" x about 48" to 54" and tabletop models are about 12" x 32" or so. If you shoot for a size somewhere in one of those ballparks, it'll be easier to find pads and covers for it.

Rockler has some plans and kits in their catalog. I think I remember the highest cost one is due to the swivel on the ironing board so you can iron parallel to the wall. Also can make the cabinet to hold the iron and accessories.

Rockler has some plans and kits in their catalog. I think I remember the highest cost one is due to the swivel on the ironing board so you can iron parallel to the wall. Also can make the cabinet to hold the iron and accessories.

I looked on line (Rockler) and only found Kits and the prices were rediculous just as they are in the BORG and such. That is why I want to make one from scratch. For a couple hundred bucks we will wrestle with the old one (Got it when we married 41 years ago) thanks

I will look at the link suggested. a few bucks for a plan is easier than exercising my brain :huh:.... my brain is about exercised out :eek:,

With taking care of two elderlys 90 & 94 (mom & aunt respectively) and inlaws 80 & 84 my brain is on a slipping slope. :eek:

Thanks guys, for the response... I will post a picture when I get it did.. git-r-done... finish..... etc.

Last edited: