Shellac flakes

Bartee Lamar

I would like to continue my education and experience with shellac.

What is good source for shellac flakes ?

What about the special alcohol that some vendors sell for like $20 quart ? Do you really need that or is the stuff from paint department at home depot ok ?

I used Zinsser clear, but you really don't need much for the size boxes that I am doing. So I think I will end up with old shellac.

Any input is appreciated.

i used hock flakes bartee from woodcraft and the thinner was just the borg stuff.. i dont see much need in using high dollar alcohol rather than cheaper stuff.. and with your boxes be sure to make enough to do the job but if your not gonna be using again in some time dont make to much up..they say it can go bad after a long set on the shelf..

if that is what he is doing is filtering, i too use the paint cones while filling the gun.. Jim what are the differences of the jewitt flakes over the hock ones???

if that is what he is doing is filtering, i too use the paint cones while filling the gun.. Jim what are the differences of the jewitt flakes over the hock ones???

Dunno... They just seem to dissolve quicker, and leave less residue in the filter. I mainly use the dewaxed garnet. For clear shellac, I haven't used anything but SealCoat® for the past several years. I prefer a 2# cut anyway.