Burr elm hollow form

Burr elm hollow form with rippled sycamore neck
5" tall by 4 1/4" wide

P1020796.jpg

P1020801.jpg

unfortunately I didn't have a choice with the neck-
this burr has got the pith running through it just slightly of centre and it had developed a bad star shake as it had dried so the hollowing hole was right next to the shake and just crumbled- so to save the burr...... in went the neck.

35 views but no comments :huh:
Any comment will do- if its not to your taste or you think it doesnt look right... i dont mind constructive criticisim it helps me to learn imo

That's a great piece of wood, and I think you did a fine job on it, especially considering you were forced into a redesign. :thumb: Critique-wise, I think I'd prefer a shorter neck, but that's a personal preference thing. I'm sure others will prefer the longer neck.

(I"d have commented earlier, but I was out of town all day Saturday and missed seeing it until now.)

me not being a turner george ,,i shouldnt critque anything form you guys.. but i do see the apple look and think that the shorter or difernt stlye of neck piece ,perhaps just a shallow top would be better..it would take away the apple look.. curious as to how the buyers market look at it..perhaps the apple will be the selling point.. i would even name it the burr apple when yu display it.. that way the folks wont feel like they are seeing something that they arent supposed to..:thumb:

George - really like the natural shape to your HF. Beautiful wood - color and grain. Agree with a shorter neck and also with Mohammad's suggestion of a darker color so that it blends into the form instead of drawing attention to it.

As far as responses - it's always slower on the weekends as folks are out enjoying the weather while they can!

thanks for the replies- i hadnt considerd the weekend weather playing a factor.
I dont think it matters wether your a turner or not Larry all comments are welcomed.
It never occoured to me to use a darker coloured wood for the neck- i just automatically wanted as much of a contrast as i coul dso went very light in colour but allot of people have said exactly the same thing :doh:i'll have to remeber it next time :)

thanks for the replies- i hadnt considerd the weekend weather playing a factor.
I dont think it matters wether your a turner or not Larry all comments are welcomed.
It never occoured to me to use a darker coloured wood for the neck- i just automatically wanted as much of a contrast as i coul dso went very light in colour but allot of people have said exactly the same thing :doh:i'll have to remeber it next time :)

its still not to late to darken the top george, i have colored wood after the finish was on before..the only thing that might hinder it is if yu have waxed it but i am sure yu could figure out a way if you thought on it.. and then it would be even more sellable..

Hey George,
Just saw your post... I agree with all that the neck distorts a great piece of work... it probably would have worked as a collar rather than a neck... otherwise, I like the turning... that's good looking wood.

I'm thinking of more of a collar or for lack of more experiance, an inlay rather than a "neck"? I am of course, fond of the type of wood you selected. Cheers! and well done :clap:

Neck about 1/4-1/3 the height of this one would do it, I think. Your curves are nice, so I'm not concerned with them at all. Even the contrasting colors isn't a bad thing. Just a bit too tall. Get the picture up on your screen and put a piece of paper over the top 2/3's of the neck and I think you'll see what everyone is talking about.

I still think you did a great job though. Very well done.