"Tornadoes" from my dust collector!

I finally got my dust collection system tuned up and boy what a difference. I had originally used 4" sewer pipe and was never happy with the airflow. I also noticed VERY fine dust everyewhere. I upgraded all my main runs to 6" and added a Wynn Environlmental filter and a Thien baffle to my 1.5HP Shop Fox. Now it's a real dust collection system instead of a "chip retriever"! I've also put automatic "triggers" on all my blast gates so I can close all of them at once with pushbuttons next to the 3-way DC power switches. My next project is to add power sensors to all my tools so the DC comes on automatically. I've got the circuit for turning on the DC, closing all the blast gates and automatically opening the one I'm using almost done. It's pretty simple, just good use of a time delay and relays. The major job will be the re-wire of the shop.

Attachments

• Backa.jpg
    Backa.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1017a.jpg
    IMG_1017a.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 90
  • Overall Fronta.jpg
    Overall Fronta.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 95
I've got a similar DC/filter/baffle combination, but I'm only running a 4" flex line, moving it from machine to machine. I wish I had the space (and funds) for a 6" main run. I'll keep holding out for the next shop to be bigger.

I suggest that you NOT add an auto-turn on to your dust collector - for two reasons.

First, the starting current for a single phase motor is WAY higher than the peak running current... it typically pegs my ammeter for 3-10 seconds when I start a machine. If your dust collector and your machine start at the same time, you have at best, a much higher chance of blowing a breaker, and at worst, a slightly reduced voltage due to the heavy load, which makes the start even harder on the motor (motors like high voltage, lightbulbs like low voltage).

Second, since the starting current is high, that becomes heat in the motor itself. Small universal motors (hand tools like routers) that isn't a big deal, but with larger induction motors (stationary tools like saws) it is a big deal. Most of my machines have 5 hp motors, and I try to leave them running so that they are not started more than 5-6 times per hour. Therefore it would be better for your dust collector to leave it running as you finish a cut, go to the jointer, then to the planer, then to the sander. In other words, leave the dust collector running between the 2-3-4 tools you use in sequence, and it will be much happier.

I suggest that you NOT add an auto-turn on to your dust collector...the starting current for a single phase motor is WAY higher than the peak running current... it typically pegs my ammeter for 3-10 seconds when I start a machine. If your dust collector and your machine start at the same time, you have at best, a much higher chance of blowing a breaker, and at worst, a slightly reduced voltage due to the heavy load, which makes the start even harder on the motor (motors like high voltage, lightbulbs like low voltage)...

...And if you're in an area (like I am) that calculates your entire monthly bill based on your maximum power draw during the month, those two combined starting amperages could (would) really effect you power bill!

I suggest that you NOT add an auto-turn on to your dust collector - for two reasons.

First, the starting current for a single phase motor is WAY higher than the peak running current... it typically pegs my ammeter for 3-10 seconds when I start a machine. If your dust collector and your machine start at the same time, you have at best, a much higher chance of blowing a breaker, and at worst, a slightly reduced voltage due to the heavy load, which makes the start even harder on the motor (motors like high voltage, lightbulbs like low voltage).

Second, since the starting current is high, that becomes heat in the motor itself. Small universal motors (hand tools like routers) that isn't a big deal, but with larger induction motors (stationary tools like saws) it is a big deal. Most of my machines have 5 hp motors, and I try to leave them running so that they are not started more than 5-6 times per hour. Therefore it would be better for your dust collector to leave it running as you finish a cut, go to the jointer, then to the planer, then to the sander. In other words, leave the dust collector running between the 2-3-4 tools you use in sequence, and it will be much happier.

Is it possible to add a time delay to the start sequence so that they are not both starting at the same time? I know that generally on these things there is a delay on the shutdown sequence.