cheap lathe

Frank Fusco

We had a demonstration at my woodturning club yesterday.
The member doing the demo was using a no-name El Cheapo mini lathe he bought off eBay years ago for $125.00. It was an EVS with an obviously small fractional HP motor. Even when finishing it would slow down, seriously lacking power.
Nonetheless, he turns out some real attractive segmented bowls with it. His work is mighty fine.
He can afford whatever he wants but this meets his needs.
Got me to thinking that, maybe, some of us might be a little snobbish bragging about our super powerful, brand name, big yellow/green/white/whatever machines.

I dont know about that Frank. This reminds me of something pretty current with me right now. Planes. I have a good small block plane from LV and it rekindled my relationship with these tools cause it just works.

On the other hand i have a cheapo lathe from Busy Bee and it has put me off turning for the moment. That is until i get the tailstock slop sorted out so that i dont have to keep pushing my shims into the edge to stop it moving about.

I dont think one has to start with a nice expensive yella, but just look at Allens experience with the HF unit. Even his wife worked out he would be better off with something a little better.

I know good tools dont make a good artisan but bad ones certainly dont help you learn other than what you are missing.:)

There are artists that can work with about anything and still produce great work... I don't know if the tools makes the man or if the man just works with what he has... if it works..

I saw a video about a guy in Japan making the Kokeishi dolls... his lathe looked like an electric motor with a sharpened cylinder attached that the set his wood against, knocked it against the sharp edge with a wood mallet, the picked up what looked like strap iron tools and in about 5 minutes turned out a completed Kokeishi doll. No tail stock, just the wood banged onto the cylinder that was protruding from the motor..

My father was a journeyman carpenter and the only power tool I ever saw him use was a '60's model Skil saw that he would change the brushes in periodically and put a new power cord and plug on whenever some would set it down on the card and cut it (according to him, happened every time he let some use his tools)..

All that said, I still like my Jet lathes..... much better than the Ridgid I started on. Especially for bowls... the slowest speed on the Ridgid was 750 rpms.

Some cheapy lathes work better than others.

I've got a Wilton mini lathe that cost all of $100 when I got it on Amazon. It's got a 2/5 hp motor with EVS and I can stall it just looking at it hard. But it runs true and without slop. With a light cut, it'll make anything it can swing.

On the other hand, I had a Harbor Freight lathe given to me that was an absolute death trap. Nothing lined up, the bed flexed horribly, the lowest speed was way too high, and the On/Off switch was stuck in the On position. I threw it away.

I understand your point about brand snobbishness, but some cheap lathes should not be owned. (And I'm not saying all HF lathes are bad. The one I had sure was, though.)

Frank I agree with you but most of the excellent turnings I have seen from a few turners in the area were done with old iron. Delta's, old PM's, etc. What amazes me is none of them have EVS systems just what they came with to begin with. My grandfather was a farmer but also built furniture. He never used a power tool that I know of not even a drill and we gave him one for Christmas. It was still in the box when he passed away. He built some absolutely beautiful furniture. I just wish I could I could do 1/4 of the stuff he did. I am of the old saying that the machine does not make the man.

Some cheapy lathes work better than others.

I've got a Wilton mini lathe that cost all of $100 when I got it on Amazon. It's got a 2/5 hp motor with EVS and I can stall it just looking at it hard. But it runs true and without slop. With a light cut, it'll make anything it can swing.

On the other hand, I had a Harbor Freight lathe given to me that was an absolute death trap. Nothing lined up, the bed flexed horribly, the lowest speed was way too high, and the On/Off switch was stuck in the On position. I threw it away.

I understand your point about brand snobbishness, but some cheap lathes should not be owned. (And I'm not saying all HF lathes are bad. The one I had sure was, though.)

Yep. Especially, those guys who own Grizzly's. There is just no talking to them. :rofl::rofl:

I have a decent lathe but many people in my turning club have lesser lathes and do nicer stuff. It is the person, I think we get carried away with tools sometimes. Ok in my case all the time. Is there a AA for tool people?

Anyhow think about it if the lathe is slowing down as he cuts he better have a efficant cut and a sharp tool. Probably knows right where the best part of the edge is. Mot likely the cheap lathes has resulted in better honed skills than alot of people.

When I teach I use the one way spr centers for the same reason they slip if the cut is to aggressive.

I understand what most of you are saying and I am also proud of my family's history -- This valley that I live in did not have electricity until the mid 50's

But I am not a "ludite" = A person who is averse to addapting to technology. (sometimes spelled with 2 d's Luddite)

Love my gagets too much and looking forward to next 50 years which would make me 115.

Guess my post scared off all the luddites! :) Did I offend all of you!
Just trying to make life fun...

Paul

Last edited:
I understand what most of you are saying and I am also proud of my family's history -- This valley that I live in did not have electricity until the mid 50's

But I am not a "ludite" = A person who is averse to addapting to technology. (sometimes spelled with 2 d's Luddite)

Love my gagets too much and looking forward to next 50 years which would make me 115.

I guess I was wondering if you can can say that word hear..:rofl::rofl:

I just was wonderin

Jumpin' in - I have owned:

The Wilton 2/5 hp - Pens were fine, light weight, bought as a traveling lathe, Tried other things on it. stopped at the least pressure. Went through two motors. Good anchor!

Jet 1014 (Actually 2) had it in the shop and was my first lathe. Bought the extention.
Served me well for about two years, when I got 2" itus. Replaced it with a Rikon 70-100. I was able to turn four table legs 34" long starting with 5 x 5 glued up Walnut. Did well - no boggin' down. The second one cost me $100.00 more than the first one - got it to replace the Wilton(BTW the Wilton is out there with a bunch of other names on it) For the extra money I got Spindle Lock. Should have kept the old one. New one is as good as old and Spindal Lock is nice to have.

Rikon 70-100 Got it to replace first Jet. Beefier lathe, 12" swing vs 10" on Jet, 16" spindal length vs 14". Much easier belt changing. Slower on the bottom end and almost as high on top end. Had it for a little over two years. I do a lot with out of balance blanks (When I first started cutting up logs, I didn't care what the blank looked like - I could always round it out and true it up on the lathe. Now I take more care making blanks.) and it performed better than I expected. All in all a VERY good lathe at a reasonable price.

Final 2" itus got me to get a Nova 1624-44. I still haven't used it to it's full potential ( 29" diameter bowl - Scarey - Biggest so far 16" platter) Does everything I ask of it. Some minor issues mechanically, but well taken care of. I didn't use the leg kit, which comes with it because it wasn't tall enough for me to work comfortably.

The work coming off the Jet is the same quality as the Nova. The Nova pieces are just larger.

Since I am still a LEARNING turner. I practice the cuts. If the lathe spins the wood well and the centers are alligned. Sharp tools, used correctly, give good results and I feel that practice is necessary to progress in the quality of the work.

Bruce

nope, Im a snob when it comes to woodworking ,
As soon as I can find space and money, Im getting a sawstop, new Ashley Isle chisels for turning, Kamaji Umeki-Oire-Nomi set for when I start figuring out how to make dovetails, and maybe even put in a an airconditioner, toilet and flat screen tv into the shop.

if anyone gets info or emails from companies about a nova or equivalent chuck on sale now, or tomorrow or the next day, a wolverine type sharpening jig, Id appreciate a pm so I can order one.

Last edited:
Tools don't make the man - but they sure help! I worked my way up the food chain from a $99.00 piece of junk to my current Robust. In each and every case, I was able to work up to a point where the lathe was what limited me. Of course, that takes longer now. ;)

With due respect for what you have done and doing for turning you are right on!

It is possible to get all that you can out of the machine that you have and then just be satisfied with the results. Go carts do not win a NASCAR race at Talladega. Not sure if this describes the situation but it is close.

Thanks for the visit Mr. Bill.. come back and visit.

paul

Mr. G-Id never lay out that kind of dough for chisels, I sharpened my 29 dollar set today and spun 4 cylinders to practice getting identical thickness so I can attempt to do better on making similar parts.
I have had zero sharpening experiences with a grinder until today, but the results were incredible. I sharpened 2 gouges and they sliced through mahogany like a hot knife in butter. I was a bit taken back at how easy it was compared to the last few days of turning.(Ive read a thousand times onlly use sharp chisels, but didnt understand till this morning)
I guess the tools are dull out of the box, one turn on the grinding wheel and cutting was 5 times easier.
this is all new to me.