G0513X Lower Guide Fix

glenn bradley

Not a jig but, maybe a fixture? There are so many G0513-whatever owners out there I wanted to share this. I am not one to stick a "Do-It-All" blade on my saw and hope for the best. This means I change blades whenever it suits the job. At this point this only takes me a few minutes. I am always looking for something to ease such activities so that they can be done even easier.

My routine consists of:

- Unplug the saw
- Release the blade tension
- Pull the table pin
- Remove the throat plate
- Back off the guides
- Swap blades
- Tension blade via flutter method
- Position the guides
- Replace the throat plate
- Replace the table pin
- Tension the blade
- Plug in the saw

Its quicker than it sounds and the only thing that is kind of a pain is the set screw for the lower left bearing guide. I keep a special hex key just to deal with it; at least I used to.

The long t-handle wrench can do everything except the lower left guide set screw (the fix is already on in this pic).

G0513X lower guide fix 007.jpg

I took out the screw and put one of these on.

G0513X lower guide fix 006.jpg

One less wrench to fiddle with; I can easily tighten this enough by hand.

G0513X lower guide fix 008.jpg

Nice Fix, Glenn!

I've been meaning to get arund to changing all my G0513x2's guide screws from SHCSs to thumb screws or knurled knob type screws for this same purpose. I got spoiled with my Jet 14" which has all thumb screws for every degree of motion and changing blades is an almost tool-free experience (need a wrench to pull the table pin, that's all).

When Lee Valley had their free shipping promo I shoulda picked up a batch of handy hardware like you used. Next time, I guess! :D

You nailed it, Glenn. I'm always fussing around in there trying to get that set screw tightened. I'm on your fix.

Boy, you really cleaned that machine up for the photos, dincha?

Cheers.

That second "this" looks interesting. How do you keep the upper end of the hose in place?...I know, I should be able to figure that out, but it's finally dawned on me that I'm a bear of very little brain.

Cheers

Its a rigid flex hose that LV and Rockler (and others I imagine) sell. The coil has a wire molded into it and it kinda pops open and closed at each ridge. It pretty mush stays where you put it (within reason) ;-)

Yeah, I have some of that dc hose.

I'll be implementing at least two of your improvements on my G0513X. Thanks for that, Glenn.

Cheers