My first turned item, a pen.

first attempt at bowl

I mounted what I had from last lathe on lathe last night.
Had to wait for someone this morning, so while waiting, what the hec.
I spun this bowl. As soon as I got the feel for the scooping motion of the gouge, life was alot easier, chisel didnt catch once after I realized I washolding it wrong.
Its probably my last bowl, Im not really into making bowls, although I find some of the work you guys produce beautiful.
I poured mineral oil into it, and then just rubbed it over. I dont know or have anything to rub on this.(probably goin to get tossed with the rest of the practice stuff)

Attachments

• wood stuff 1322 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1322 (Medium).jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 19
  • wood stuff 1323 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1323 (Medium).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 18
dont toss that bowl allen your kids or grand kids will want it someday!!! and yu will make another i am sure of it:) but dont forget us flat folk we still want yu back on our side when yu get time:)

dont toss that bowl allen your kids or grand kids will want it someday!!! and yu will make another i am sure of it:) but dont forget us flat folk we still want yu back on our side when yu get time:)

Allen, listen to Larry...keep it and date it. It won't be your last, trust me. :thumb:

Congrats!

If your gonna toss that bowl, toss it on your dresser, great spot for your keys and change at night! That is amazing also!! Wish my first was like that, might have been a second and a third!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Im a flatworker always. I just need a lathe for some curves.
The pens are fun stuff. Ill do some keychains and things, it more of for giftgiving than anything else.
Im going to get brave today, cut down some mahogany, and go spin, or attempt, 2 close legs of 15 inches. If they come out close, its good enough.
I heard when you make furniture with spinned legs, all done without duplicators, you dont let people in your house that keep calipers in their pocket.

you must be a lot richer than i thought allen, if'n your going to throw away a perfectly good popcorn bowl like that! :eek: give it to mrs allen, i'm sure she'll find a perfectly good use for it:D:thumb:

you must be a lot richer than i thought allen, if'n your going to throw away a perfectly good popcorn bowl like that! :eek: give it to mrs allen, i'm sure she'll find a perfectly good use for it:D:thumb:

Great idea Dan. :thumb: That's what I use my first bowl for.

If I remember correctly Allen picked up a free standing popcorn machine this summer, and the outdoor movie nights he has, I think we just might see a few more bowls after all. :rolleyes::D

tomorrow I attempt to turn more legs and some knobs for the cabinet.
I limit my time with it each day. (and my wife almost clocked me last night because I was out there playing with it after my eyes were so bad I couldnt back the truck in the driveway)

I'll echo the others who've suggested dating and signing the bottom of that bowl. You only turn one first bowl, and yours came out looking better than the vast majority of 'first bowls' I've seen.