Federal Influenced Serving Tray

Ed Nelson

Hey guys! I haven't been over here too much lately, but I thought I'd show my latest project. It's a serving tray I've been working on for the last couple weeks. The fans were done a few months ago with no project in mind. LOML said she wanted a serving tray which gave me an opportunity to try some marquetry and this is what I ended up with. The tray is walnut and the inlays are various veneers. There are a few rough spots, but overall I am happy with the project! Let me know what you think!

tray2.JPG

tray1.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, that came out looking great, Ed. :clap: The shading on the fans really worked well. Did you use the hot sand trick for that?

Thanks everyone! The fans and eagle are sand shaded. Learned how to do the fans at a SAPFM meet several months ago and had to try my hand at them as soon as I got home!

I see if I can get a better pic of the eagle tonight, even though that will reveal some of my mistakes:eek: This is meant to be viewed from a distance@:rolleyes:

Just a comment - my opinion. It might be easier to inset your fans and center into a field of walnut veneer, then lay the veneer on the substrate. You could use solid walnut for the substrate. If you choose the colors of the veneer and the substrate well, you absolutely cannot see the line between the veneer and the substrate (if the edge is visible). And in your case, the edge would not be visible because you've captured the bottom in the sides.

I find it easier to work with veneer than to do inlay but maybe that's just me.

Mike

[This isn't a tray - it's a sample board I made to demonstrate some veneer techniques (see pix) - but you can see how something similar can be done with veneer. This is curly bubinga with a wenge border. The light colored wood is holly.]

Attachments

• Veneer-projects-01.jpg
    Veneer-projects-01.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: