Hey Larry........it's not finished yet but check this out....

Cherry is extremely expensive here. I paid $273 for 23 bd/ft. I glued it up and started turning this in April.

It got side-tracked by guests, family visits and then a bathroom remodel. A week ago on Sunday, I finally got back to my shop and turned this top.

I need to sweep the cement dust out of my shop......mop it and then I can consider putting a finish on this.

Here's my unfinished version of Norm's "Martha Washington's candle stand"

DSC_0001 (2).JPG

DSC_0006 (2).JPG

DSC_0005 (2).JPG

Last edited:
nice going ken! :D:thumb: i cringe just a little watching norm at the lathe.:eek: no face mask or other than, most important of all, safety glasses. i learned almost all of what i know about turning from watching richard raffan, and when i see norm start to turn a blank to round from the center, i want to reach through the tv and whack him on the fingers with his own gouge.:doh: but that's just me...:D

I remember watching that show and thinking to myself, self....that would sure be nice to build. But since I am not a spinny guy and that is beyond my talent level anyway, just enjoyed the show. Well ken, you did the same thing except you do the spinny thing and definitely have the talent. Great job:thumb:

That's looking very nice, Ken. :clap: It also ought to keep both the spinny guys and the flatlanders off your back for a while. :p

What's the purpose of the tilting top? Is it for more compact storage?

Vaughn,

The tilt top allows you to store the table in a corner. The top also rotates. So you tilt it vertical and then put the 3rd leg in a corner and it takes up less room.

good job fitz:):thumb: you are still in good standing amongst the flat folk:D
norm and martha both would be proud of your table.. one suggestion though, let it get some sun to balance out the legs and the top with the center column for color before finishing..2 or 3 days of good sun and warmth will do it. otherwize it will catch up but will take awhile inside the house..lookun forward to the final finish pics:thumb::thumb:

Hi Ken

Wow is all i can say. Neat piece of spinny and flatwork. How did you turn that top i mean on which lathe and did you do it as an overhang or does your lathe have that sort of capacity. How did you secure a piece that size. I am presuming you first made up the panel and then cut it round on a bandsaw and finished the blank on the lathe or what?

Boy i cannot believe the price of Cherry in your area. Now i am embarressed:eek: that I am so spoilt to have a lumber yard close to me where less than that sort of cost would get you 2 inch thick quarter sawn prime cherry and i have not done anything like this. Well that is yet.;)

Cant wait to see it finished. Just wondering on Larrys comment about the matching when i looked at the pictures i thought you had actually finished the center colum while it was still on the lathe? Hence reason for the darkness. But hey who am i to guess this.:)

Larry,

I'm going to start the sunshine process today. Even this early in the fall, we won't be getting as long sunny days or as many.

Ron,

You are right...glued up a panel.....trimmed to size with my MM-16 and then turned it.

I have a PM3520B with an 18"bed extension. I turned this over the bed. I screwed the piece on one of my faceplates and then using a flat ended live center in the tailstock, I captured it between the faceplate and the live center with a flat end on the live center. The flat end is 1/2" in diameter and spins. I can turn 20" over the bed and 30" over the end.

I turned as much of both sides as I could and then pulled the tailstock back and turned off the little nubbin' left in the middle of the top side.

The top was turned 10 days ago...the legs were sanded a few weeks ago. The center spindle was turned in April and thus it has darkened over the months.

With exposure to sun light, some BLO and then a little dewaxed shellac, it will look much better than it does in these pictures, I hope.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Last edited:
Jonathan,

The LOML already has a place for this to be used and it will probably never be tilted. But that was in the original design so I included it in my version.

What Larry saw in the photos is that the 3 legs at the bottom and the top are lighter in color than the turned pedestal. Again, that is because the top was turned just 10 days ago and the legs cut and sanded a month ago...thus exposing fresher raw wood than the center column which was turned last April.

Cherry darkens with age and exposure to UV rays ....ie...the exposure to the sun. A little BLO and exposure to the sun should balance the color/darkness between the individual parts as Larry pointed out.

I see said the blind man. :eek:
Amazing, same picture and what each individual sees/comprehends. I keep pushing that in my classroom trying to get the same message across in different ways so they have close to the same comprehension on the lesson. But who really knows? :dunno:

BTW LARRY........

Did you even notice the flatwork in this piece? Is it okay to use the word "flat" in the turner's forum at this site or is that considered profane?

The legs are dovetailed Larry into the round spindle. I used a router and a special built jig on my lathe to route 3 flat spots 120º apart, Larry. Then I used another jig and a dovetail bit and routed the dovetails into the spindle/center column. The legs were cut on my bandsaw and then sanded.

Flat and round go together Larry........look deep into the turning object.....see the Vortex Larry......It won't hurt....it is fun and you get to hobnob with all the crazy turners who can't get out of the Vortex Larry!:eek::rolleyes:

BTW LARRY........

Did you even notice the flatwork in this piece? Is it okay to use the word "flat" in the turner's forum at this site or is that considered profane?

The legs are dovetailed Larry into the round spindle. I used a router and a special built jig on my lathe to route 3 flat spots 120º apart, Larry. Then I used another jig and a dovetail bit and routed the dovetails into the spindle/center column. The legs were cut on my bandsaw and then sanded.

Flat and round go together Larry........look deep into the turning object.....see the Vortex Larry......It won't hurt....it is fun and you get to hobnob with all the crazy turners who can't get out of the Vortex Larry!:eek::rolleyes:

well ken i didnt mentione the Dtails becasue i have seen your work before and knew they were there:) i pay attention at times when i am not thirsty.. you did a real fine job of mixing the two to together, and in the right porprotions as well..just hint for next time... if yu are gonna have delay between the big spindle or a part similar in a project, cover it with a shipping blanket or some thing to keep the light of it,, then the catch up will be easier i the suntan salon.. i had it burn me on the hutch a few years back i had a 2" piece across a door rail and it showed up like black and white,,,took some creative work to get it back where it needed to be but i learned not to allow it to be in the light as much as possible:D:thumb::thumb: