JET 1236 wood lathe for sale

My local paper, I have been three days behind in my reading. I looked at the classifieds tonight. JET 1236 wood lathe plus tools and assorted stuff. $300.00
So I google 1236 JET wood lathe, amazon has one for $789.99. :eek::eek:

Serious???? I am going to call them once I log off of here, but what would you do???????????:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::huh::huh::huh:

don't worry about larry finding out rennie, i'm pretty certain larry is a secret turner, and i may have figured out how he keeps the secret. he goes out to the shop in the dead of night, in the dark of the moon, locks the door and presses a switch. the lights go out, except for 3 strategically placed overhead floodlights. a section of the floor slides away, and there is the sound of a hydraulic lift starting. then, slowly rising up through the floor, is the powermatic 3520b that he keeps hidden. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(now i could be wrong, but then again....:type:)

That's a good price, especially if it comes with a few extras like a chuck. It's a little underpowered for bigger pieces, but with 12" of swing you wouldn't be going huge with it anyway. The 500 rpm low speed is also a bit higher that you'd want for roughing out off-balance pieces and power sanding, but with some forethought it can still be workable. It'd be a great spindle lathe.

I seem to recall someone on Woodturner's Resource having trouble with the Reeves drive in one of these, but I'm not sure of it was this model. (Ron Sardo might recall.) I'll keep looking and see if I can find anything else noteworthy.

Theoretically you can pivot the headstock to turn larger pieces. BUT please resist the temptation even you add a heavy ballast to the base. The tool rest extension is very weak; it is likely to snap. Large turning, fast speed and without tail stock are not a safe combination. The lack of horse power is the least of the concern. The Reeves drive is high maintenance. It has its own mind in unheated garage in winter.
The Jet 1236 was my first lathe. IMO, if this lathe sells for $790, the Jet 1220VS or the new Delta Midi with bed extension should worth $1500, or at least $1200.

well ,i alredy knew jon was a spinny dude, i have sent a few pen blanks in the past for him and his students to work with, and he made apen for me once as well.. as for those that have this vivd imagaination, well some good points have been brought up but if, and dont worry this is a big IF
i would be gettin the 3520b i think. from what vaughn has wrote and others as well i think that would be the machine i would invest in have seen the robust a like thaem as well but its way to much gingle for me..not sure of the price on a oneway and they are well made:D:thumb:as well.. i read what yu spinny guys write and have stored some of it away for a rainy day but its not raining yet:)

It was gone. If I had known it had a reeves drive, wouldn't have been interested. Already have that on my Craftsman. That is what I am planning to upgrade from, actually my JET mini was an upgrade from that.

well ,i alredy knew jon was a spinny dude, i have sent a few pen blanks in the past for him and his students to work with, and he made apen for me once as well.. as for those that have this vivd imagaination, well some good points have been brought up but if, and dont worry this is a big IF
i would be gettin the 3520b i think. from what vaughn has wrote and others as well i think that would be the machine i would invest in have seen the robust a like thaem as well but its way to much gingle for me..not sure of the price on a oneway and they are well made:D:thumb:as well.. i read what yu spinny guys write and have stored some of it away for a rainy day but its not raining yet:)

+Not to get to off topic...but Larry is seeing the light I think...it used to be a BIG NO, but now it has changed to a BIG IF

At this rate...this time next year, Larry will be adding some mustard to his shop.:rolleyes::rofl::wave:

+Not to get to off topic...but Larry is seeing the light I think...it used to be a BIG NO, but now it has changed to a BIG IF

At this rate...this time next year, Larry will be adding some mustard to his shop.:rolleyes::rofl::wave:

its still a big NO but when yu are close to a big BILL yu kinda have to listen:) he demands your attention:)
so its Still no, but i do have some future needs of some round work to be done so play your cards right and yu could be the lucky one:) keep practicun folk:)

Theoretically you can pivot the headstock to turn larger pieces. BUT please resist the temptation even you add a heavy ballast to the base. The tool rest extension is very weak; it is likely to snap. Large turning, fast speed and without tail stock are not a safe combination. The lack of horse power is the least of the concern. The Reeves drive is high maintenance. It has its own mind in unheated garage in winter.
The Jet 1236 was my first lathe. IMO, if this lathe sells for $790, the Jet 1220VS or the new Delta Midi with bed extension should worth $1500, or at least $1200.

I think Gordon posted above just to get me wound up. ;)
That Jet 1236 is not unlike the Grizzly G1067Z that I used happily for six years.
Doing anything carelessly can result in problems. Meaning, the tool rest extension can serve you well on outrigger turning if you stay alert to it's limitations. I liked the outrigger on occasion to avoid bending over the bed. It is a very good feature that adds to the versatility of the machine.
Reeves drives are dirty words to some folks. Considering that the design has been used for many-many years in many-many applications, it is not a bad thing. Reeves drives give a variable speed feature for very little money. That is a good thing.
As for being high maintenance. I used my lathe almost daily for six years and in that time I changed belts four times. One was changed after only a couple months because the belt was defective. Otherwise, it might have been only three times. I do not call that "high maintenance".
Methinks you have a good opportunity for a very utilitarian lathe at a very reasonable price. Go for it.

Frank, I agree that a Reeves drive is a time-tested speed control, and the old ones were indeed about bulletproof. However, there have been a lot of folks having problems with Reeves drives in newer imported machines (Jet and other brands, like Palmgren/Craftsman) due to cheaper quality materials and less accurate tolerances. The fact that you used your Grizzly lathe daily quite likely helped you sidestep some of the maintenance issues the rest of us with Reeves drives have run into. In most cases, the maintenance isn't necessarily belt replacement, but instead it's dismantling and cleaning/lubricating the moving parts to keep the moving. Your frequent use of the lathe kept things from getting stuck.

In the year or less that I owned my Craftsman lathe, I had to take it apart at least six times due to stuck sheaves. My experience wasn't unique. ;)

The fact that you had no troubles with the outboard tool rest shows you stayed within its limitations. Turning small items would probably not be pushing the tool rest's capabilities, but I'd think something in the 8" to 11" range could.

Anyway, they're somewhat moot points in this case since someone else already bought the lathe. :)

Frank,

I mentioned the pivoting head stock was in response to Vaughn that the lathe is limited to 12". I have seen numerous posts about people breaking the tool rest extension, that included the HF clone and the Jet.
I don't think AK has the severe winter like I do up here. My Reeves drive did freeze up before the room heats up. Mine need to be cleaned and lubed very often. I am not referring to changing the belts; that is a normal tear and wear item in proportion to the hours you use the lathe.

I don't think Reeves drive itself is bad. The main problem is today EVS is more desirable than Reeves drive. On new lathes, Reeves drive are chosen because of economic reason only. The manufacturers are cutting too many corners to cut cost. When Reeves drive was a main feature on top of the line lathes, they used the best material and workmanship. The Reeves drive on the old Powermatic 90 and Delta were built like a tank; they were built to last.

The biggest down side on even the best Reeves drive is you can only change speed when the machine is running.

I think a "BIG WHEN" is the next step for Larry. Some folks use a 12 step program to get out of an addiction. Larry's using the 12 step program to obtain a new addiction.:rolleyes::D

Frank,

I mentioned the pivoting head stock was in response to Vaughn that the lathe is limited to 12". I have seen numerous posts about people breaking the tool rest extension, that included the HF clone and the Jet.
I don't think AK has the severe winter like I do up here. My Reeves drive did freeze up before the room heats up. Mine need to be cleaned and lubed very often. I am not referring to changing the belts; that is a normal tear and wear item in proportion to the hours you use the lathe.

I don't think Reeves drive itself is bad. The main problem is today EVS is more desirable than Reeves drive. On new lathes, Reeves drive are chosen because of economic reason only. The manufacturers are cutting too many corners to cut cost. When Reeves drive was a main feature on top of the line lathes, they used the best material and workmanship. The Reeves drive on the old Powermatic 90 and Delta were built like a tank; they were built to last.

The biggest down side on even the best Reeves drive is you can only change speed when the machine is running.

We are mostly in agreement but seeing things from different perspectives. Yes, economic is the main drive for those lathes with Reeves. That is a plus. You get variable speed for less money. That's good.
Changing speed only while running is a characteristic. Yep. I say "so what?". Learn to put on slow before shutting down. We are still allowed to think. Not a biggie deal, IMHO.
As for the sticking problem. I never had it. But, early on, I used a lube that helped avoid sticking. Nobody told me to, just intuitively I figured I would need it. I used BREAK FREE lube. It is a Teflon based product that is popular for use on guns. Whatever the main lubricant in it is, it cleans very well and loosens stuck old lubricants and dirt. It also penetrates very well. I really like this stuff. There is/was another similar product, Tri-Flow, on the market. Just as good but I haven't seen it for a number of years.