wassup with 51 degrees?

Sometimes you need a cut more than 45*, maybe because the corner is not square. I doubt if you ever need to go to 51* but I suppose they went far enough to make sure you had enough. About the most I've ever used is maybe 47* or 48*.

You can't really match up two different angles in a corner. So you can't really do one side at 39* and the other at 51*. The length of the two cuts won't match - the length of the angle part of the 51* cut will be longer than the length of the 39* angle and when you put them together they'll look terrible. When doing a miter cut, you have to divide the angle in two to get a good fit. So if your corner was 94*, you really have to make two 47* cuts to get them to fit together properly.

I'm sure Larry knows that and was just pulling your leg.

Mike

Last edited:
I imagine it is like the stops on my machines. I generally set them a bit past zero and 45* for example; that way I can be precise as opposed to trusting the not-so-trustworthy stops. The 51* would allow you to easily do more that 45*, whatever it happened to be (up to 51* of course).

Well, it depends on whether it is a Skil Pro model, OR whether it's a model sold at the Borgs, ie; If a Pro model it was probably planned to give plenty of leeway to set something more than 45* when needed, Buuuuuuuut.... IF it was a model made for the Borgs, it was probably planned to be 48* like most of the competition, but the machining was a little "sloppy" and ended up being 51* and rather than redo all the parts they just decided to ADVERTISE 51* as a FEATURE.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I don't have any clue. I would guess the guys who say better miter accuracy are on target but I sure don't have the skill to cut super accurate miters on a circular saw.
I'd use my sliding compound saw to do it.

Frank i don't know anything about the skil, but my new makita will cut up to a 56 degree. Yes i have used degrees over a 45 many times. Say you are putting up a rim board for your I joist to butt into. With the funkie angles the architects are putting in these big houses it's prutty common.
Heres a pic of my new saw and as (i hope ) you can see it does go up to the 56 degree. and yes it will cut all the way through a 2x4.

Attachments

• 001 [800x600].JPG
    001 [800x600].JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 13