for Vaughn, my planes

Frank Fusco

Here is my 'collection' of planes.
The big one on the left is a Stanley-Bailey #5.
Center red one is a Sears. It is a low cost tool, below Craftsman. I purchased this many years ago and believe it is the only one of the three I have ever used. It is virtually identical to the Stanley #220 on the right.
I inherited the two Stanley's. I don't think I have ever sharpened any of them.
That's it folks.

Attachments

• planes.jpg
    planes.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 59
Wow Frank, first the bowl gouge and now hand planes :eek:

I don't think I could finish any flatwork project I have without my trusty block plane and smoother, they are just so very useful, to me:dunno:

Well, I guess I understand why you don't see the allure of hand planes. ;) I suspect if you used one that was sharpened and tuned, you might understand. I know I didn't understand either until I used a well-tuned plane.

Well, I guess I understand why you don't see the allure of hand planes. ;) I suspect if you used one that was sharpened and tuned, you might understand. I know I didn't understand either until I used a well-tuned plane.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I bought a #3 that came to me tuned and sharpened and it was a "SO THIS IS WHAT i AM MISSING" moment. Been a convert every since.

I'd go to www.rexmill.com for good info on getting the most out of your old iron planes. All of the planes in your pic are capable of producing fine shavings. It takes an evening to really tweak the heck out of one. Once you do, you'll really appreciate how they work.
have fun with it.
paulh

Ok Frank seeing as how you appear to have no use for them and they appear to be gathering dust, I will take them orphans off your hands before ya abuse them anymore. Send them to me. I will house them and care for them all the days of their life. I will keep them clean and sharp and well tuned. Oh and they will be well fed with wood. Pm me and I will send you the address to direct them to.:D:thumb:

Just think of all the space you will have after they are gone.:rofl:

Ok Frank seeing as how you appear to have no use for them and they appear to be gathering dust, I will take them orphans off your hands before ya abuse them anymore. Send them to me. I will house them and care for them all the days of their life. I will keep them clean and sharp and well tuned. Oh and they will be well fed with wood. Pm me and I will send you the address to direct them to.:D:thumb:

Just think of all the space you will have after they are gone.:rofl:

Well...Rob...seeing as how they are family heirlooms and my best skill is collecting dust ;), they will remain on a high shelf out of the way. Thanks for the offer though. :D