Possible Compressor Problem ??

Dan Mosley

The day i bought the compressor i had the owner hook it up and run it for a pretty long time and it worked beautifully.
When we took it out of the truck it had been laying down (for over a day) and alot of oil started flowing out of the air filter. It soon stopped. Today i cleaned it up well and blew the motor etc clean. Took the air cleaner of it and cleaned it up really well (until i can get another one), went to Lowes got some synthetic oil and filled the resivoir up.
I moved it into place and plugged it back in started running well but in a about 5min or less starting making a intermittent low popping sound - it was comming from the relief valve on top of the head (one that the aircleaner is attached to). I unplugged it, took the air cleaner out and blew it out with air really well - getting out some sludge material but not alot and cleaned that hole in back of the air filter best i could. Hooked it back up and same problem. So i shut it off and thought i would ask for some help to see if anyone knows what i should do ? or was it caused by the oil flooding those areas when it was laying down ?
Any advice would be great as i dont know to much about compressors....
Pic below.........Thanks Dan

Attachments

• Compressor-7[1].jpg
    Compressor-7[1].jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Compressor-7.jpg
    Compressor-7.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 21
Dan,

I think you have the cause identified. It most likely is the valves in the cylinder heads that got gooped up with oil and may heve other gunk in them now.

My advice would be to remove the valve covers (these would look like caps on the heads) and clean the valves and seats. If there are no caps on the heads, you will probably have to remove each head to gain access to the valves. These might be either reed valves or disk valves. You will need to wash the valves, springs and valve seats well to remove all oil and gunk. Just make note of the position of each piece of each valve assembly for proper installation.

If you remove the heads carefully enough, you should not need new head gaskets, (I have been ablr to do this on several compressors, as the material will compress again for a good seal) although that may not be your case. You can also make new head gaskets out of material from an auto supply place. Just get material that closely matches what is on there now. If you don't feel comfortable with this procedure, you can locate gaskets from your I-R parts supplier.

Hope this helps you. That's a decent compressor and should give you many years of good service. Just remember to keep the moisture drained out of the tank regularly.

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
The relief valve is designed to either intermittently release or blow until the air pressure inside the head drops below the pre-set psi of the safety valve. It is probably a 160, or 180 psi valve.
Its possible that the crud in the valves are making it shutter or blow. Its not too hard to clean them out like Tony suggested.
Its also possible that the high end pressure, which is set by 2 brass collars on a hexagonal brass valve about 3" long which is near the regulator has either been damaged or slightly knocked out of allignment during the move of the unit or by laying it down. This in my opinion is the most likely reason for your problem.
I have instructions for setting (resetting the pressure) and can fax them to you. I don't have them saved to the computer. But basically if you turn the larger collar slightly to the left it will reduce the system psi. turning the smaller collar will change the differential between air on and air off. You are probably set for a 20 lb difference. you should reduce it to a 10 lb difference for more consistent air.
Either way this is not a major problem.

Regarding the moisture, either install a water relief valve or be sure to drain it every day. What I do with mine is on very hot or humid days I keep the petcock on the tank slightly open. Just so the air is weakly leaking. place a pan under the valve and you'll be surprised how much moisture comes out. This is especially important to do if you like in areas where the temperature drops below freezing (unheated shops) it will keep your hoses and tools from being plugged by ice.

Last edited:
Dan
What is your pressure when it pops.

If your pressure switch isn't shutting off at the proper pressure then the relief valve should pop and let the pressure back down to a safe level. If it is the over pressure relief valve, then you need to adjust your pressure shut off off switch to a lower level. There are usually two adjustments one that sets that sets both cutoff and cuton pressure and a second that adjusts the range between cut off and cut on.

Not clear that it is that one from what you are saying..

Garry

Last edited:
Is there another lesson here other than keep your eyes open for a great deal? It seems that this kind of compressor doesn't take kindly to being laid on it's side.....?

Last edited:
Bob - Let me think of where i can get a fax from you at and ill contact you about the instructions.

I appreciate the information and will try your ideas / suggestions and thank you to all that responed

The compressor ran great until i move it - i ran it at his shop for a long time with no problems so im sure it from me laying it down and leaving it in the truck for more than 24hrs before i got it out. It start almost right away and the tank pressure is 50 or less when it starts.