Endgrain Maple Vase

This maple vase gave me fits when I roughed it out as it was so wet it just gummed up the cutters and refused to cooperate! Finally got it roughed out, soaked it in DNA and set it aside for when I wanted to turn something that would totally frustrate me!

Well, frustrating or not – I liked the form and decided to finish it so I could submit it to a local juried art show that is coming up very soon.

Maple Vase, 10 ¼” high x 4” at widest diameter x 1/8” thick, sanded to 320 grit and has several coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly. The vase is actually full of small curl but the photos did not capture that effect.

Maple Vase v1.JPG Maple Vase v2.JPG Maple Vase v3.JPG Maple Vase v4.JPG Maple Vase v5.JPG
As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcome!

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for looking! :wave:

[/FONT]

I think the technical term for that is "Sa-weeet!" Great-looking piece, Steve. :thumb: That last 1/8" of wall removal must have been kind of nerve-wracking.

Steve,
That is a great piece of work, beautiful... looks line one of those greek jars, amphorah (sp??)..
I'm saving a block of Maple just for a piece like that...
I want to try one of those soon, but don't have a steady yet.... so I'll just keep saving the piece for a while....

Outstanding Steve! I have a walnut piece that is roughed out in a similar end-grain style, just need to finish it. I'll be happy if it turns out half as good as yours!