David is he protected? Man, I always am carrying after dark, generally my Taurus 4410 (now they call it the Judge, bought it before it got renamed). 45 Long colt, 410 deer slug, 410 OO buck. Can be loaded in any order. I have heard of DNR releasing some bobcats, but that thing in my backyard, would implement the three S method. 1. Shoot 2. Shovel 3. Shut up!!!!

Let me know if he/she/it is fair game, would love to come down and spend a weekend doing some predator calling! Bet Larry would come for that!!!

I was camping in the San Gorgonio wilderness a few years ago when I was up at 6 AM "taking care of business". As I was sitting there one if these guys walked by about 30-40 feet away. Had the decency to let me finish, not kill and eat me.

I was camping in the San Gorgonio wilderness a few years ago when I was up at 6 AM "taking care of business". As I was sitting there one if these guys walked by about 30-40 feet away. Had the decency to let me finish, not kill and eat me.
Maybe there was a scent that turned him off? :rofl::rofl:

Folks.....that ain't no bobcat.

That is cougar.....mountain lion.......that pitbull wouldn't stand a chance against that cat.

With the restrictions placed on hunting mountains/cougars the population is growing. They are a territorial animal and like bears, wolves, etc need a fairly large area to support their livilhood. Thus they are being seen in areas they haven't been seen in decades.

A co-worker in central Oregon was bow hunting deer with his BIL in the desert and had a cougar stalk him to within 15'. In self defense, he arrowed it in the chest and took it to the F&G.

That is a serious cat!

That is cougar.....mountain lion.......that pitbull wouldn't stand a chance against that cat.

With the restrictions placed on hunting mountains/cougars the population is growing. They are a territorial animal and like bears, wolves, etc need a fairly large area to support their livilhood. Thus they are being seen in areas they haven't been seen in decades.

A co-worker in central Oregon was bow hunting deer with his BIL in the desert and had a cougar stalk him to within 15'. In self defense, he arrowed it in the chest and took it to the F&G.

That is a serious cat!

Dunno about the pit vs. cat. But that is a unique picture.
If I had to kill one like your friend did, I sure wouldn't announce it to the authorities. I like my present address too much to change it to j-a-i-l .
Officially, we don't have them in Arkansas.
Really though, we really do.

Maybe there was a scent that turned him off? :rofl::rofl:

The cat thought he was already dead?!! :rofl::huh:

Personally, "taking care of business" would take less time than normal if I saw something like this while doing that!!! :eek::eek::doh::doh::eek::eek:

that picture looks to be in texas, yu can see the feeder in the back ground and most states dont allow them.. we have got some near us but are rarely seen. the DNR in my local area has actually seen them twice. they keep tellun us that they are some ones pets that were turned loose..and i agree with ken there isnt a pit bull out there that can handle a cougar..take and look at your house cat and the strength per pound in it and then times it by ten.. and yu have cougar power that deer that that one so hauling off is around 150 to 175 lbs od dead weight being hauled byt the littel weak putty cat.. not...nice pic though david

That is a serious cat!

That was the general idea... the dog has killed two of our cats and every one that lived in the barn across the street, the neighbor's cat that lives front of the pit bull's house and a few smaller dogs in the few years I've been here.... he's friendly enough to people, but pit bulls have been banned in a number of towns in my end of the state. I don't trust them at all.

well david yu have started something,, i just saw my first porcupine in my area and its the first the local dnr has seen this far south..so this is gonna be the wknd of firsts i quess..

Frank.....The guy had left the arrow in it. From the angle and placement of the arrow in the cat, the F&G bought his story and even allowed to keep the hide.

I am personal friends of several Idaho F&G officers, retired F&G regional supervisors and even friends with a Idaho F&G Commissioner appointed to two 6 year terms by the Govenor Cecil Andrus. They are human and nice guys. While they could jail someone for say, accidentally killing a mule deer when they had a white tailed deer tag, I know of several instances where they released the hunter with a warning. The hunter was smart enough to leave the game where they killed it....they field dressed it and then went to town and got the officers.

Last edited:
well david yu have started something,, i just saw my first porcupine in my area and its the first the local dnr has seen this far south..so this is gonna be the wknd of firsts i quess..

that poor porcupine is probably back home, still half scared out of it's wits, telling the others, "you ain't gonna believe what i saw...." :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Saw a cougar/panther/mountain lion dead one at work. Let me tell you the pictures don't do it justice. The size of this juvenile made me wish I never run in to one...regardless of what I am carrying gun-wise. The paws on this thing where almost as big as my buddy's face. The claws where as big around as our little fingers.

I felt very insignificant and small with this animal, despite it having 4 gapping holes in it.

I have been around 6 to 8 foot sharks (alive) and not felt the same as around this dead cat. The quiet stalking is the part that makes the hair stand up on end.

My dad stared one down thru the kitchen window once early in the morning in KS. He scrambled to get his camera, but not in time. He did take pics of the tracks in the snow...big kitty! There are reports of them being all over here in IA too...

I've heard if you see one, you won't see it again for quite some time as they travel over BIG areas to hunt.:dunno:

It's funny how exposure to these kinds of predators in the wild will change your attitude about them.

When I first moved to Idaho and was beginning to elk hunt, all the locals carried bear tags. Bear was considered a predator then and they, like the cougar and the wolves have a significant impact on the elk calf population. More than once bears have been filmed at the edge of an elk herd where the cows are giving birth, and the bears like other opporturnistic predators attack and kill the newborn calves. That's nature. So most elk hunters carried bear tags. They shot and killed the bears they saw while elk hunting, tagged it and removed the lower jaw for submission to the F&G. I sometimes bought a bear tag but still haven't shot a bear and I've seen a couple while in the woods. Then the F&G made bears a game animal. If you shoot one, you have to dress it and bring the meat out just like any other game animal. Since then, they don't sell many bear tags and the bear population is on the increase....the elk population because of that and the reintroduced wolves in the State of Idaho...the elk population is suffering.

You can't imagine what it is like to cross your tracks in the snow ....the ones you made earlier in the day....and see bear tracks following your tracks for a hundred yards or so....the first time you have it happen....the hair on the back of your neck will stand on end!....You follow these (yours and its) tracks and eventually the animal wanders off. In this bear case, you realize it smelled your scent and was inquisitive. It followed your scent and tracks for a hundred yards or so and then went on its way.

In every case where I or one of my friends encountered predatory animals while hunting, you sensed it before you saw it. .......you get an eery feeling....then the hair on your neck stands on end....you stop moving and start looking and eventually you find it....spooky when it happens!

that pitbull wouldn't stand a chance against that cat.

A guy walks into a Biker Bar and says, "Who owns the Pitbull chained up out front?"

A big biker says, "I do why?"

The guy says "I think my Chihuahua just killed him."

The biker jumps and says, "How could a Chihuahua kill my pitbull?"

The guy says, "It seems to be stuck in his throat." :rofl: :rofl: