Using sharp tools.....OMG

Tom Baugues

Well, I finally had a weekend where I didn't have to work or go somewhere else. So I got out in the shop and decided to turn a couple pens. Now, a few weeks ago I had purchased a grinder and Wolverine sharpening jig from a guy on Craigslist. Today before I started to turn I gave my tools a quick pass on the sharpener. WOW....I apparently have NEVER used sharp tools before. I had been sharpening them by eye using an old belt sander but now....they really have an edge. It was amazing to me how much nicer they cut. Lesson learned here. I made two pens (sorry no pictures) and cut up blanks for more turning tomorrow. I am anxious to try them out on larger projects.

Tom

Did a web search for a company named "Sharp Tools" with poor results.

Wish I had one... Do I need one? Would it help? I am just kidding around. Trying to perk up this forum...

How do we get more activity ?? I was banned for life on a very popular and active forum ---- would like to see this forum become more active.

Sour gapes Paul
:wave:

Did a web search for a company named "Sharp Tools" with poor results.

Wish I had one... Do I need one? Would it help? I am just kidding around. Trying to perk up this forum...

How do we get more activity ?? I was banned for life on a very popular and active forum ---- would like to see this forum become more active.

Sour gapes Paul
:wave:

Paul the best way to make this place better is to post the stuff you are working on yourself, or things that you find interesting, the more one posts, the more opportunity it gives for others to make comments and ask questions about what one is doing. Trying to "Perk Up" a forum may not be the best approach, instead, share what you are doing, and make sure you take pictures! :D :thumb:

IM reading this thread, and realized my wife had picked up my grinder(it finally came in and I couldnt get out because of work), she wasnt thrilled about going to the tool guy, but its been in her trunk and now, at 11:55 saturday night, I have this urge to go outside into the shop and try putting some kind of new edge on my 29 dollar chisel set.

she said no, she wont give me her keys, to go to bed it will be there in the morning. Shell never understand this disease.(but she also hid the chocolate lolliepops and I found them, so Ill wait for her to go sleepy)
ok, so sometimes I dont listen to her.

thanx for reminding me, I was going to spend a few hours sanding tomorrow, I might have forgotten again.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1352 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1352 (Medium).jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Eh, no rush Allen. Sharp tools really aren't all that important. Just ask Tom. :rofl:

It sure is an eye opener, isn't it Tom? :thumb:

I remember when I started turning, I thought they were sharp out of the box!:doh: Then I bought a slow speed grinder and made a couple of passes and :eek: sharp! Yep, night and day difference! Also, less sanding!!

I have the same setup - wolverine with my grinder and i like it alot. I have my jigs and platform set up so that i can quickly and easily sharpen my tools and be back at the lathe quickly. I added a few of the Raptor gauges (you dont really need them but they were on sale in the woodturners catalog and i was buying some other stuff anyway) to be able to quickly change angles if i want to on other tools.
You will like it alot...........Dan

Perking up.......

Paul - I volunteered to self ban myself from another forum because of the unprofessinalism of the comments made by members to others that submitted questions,inquiry's,or asking how to do something. It seemed like it was permitted.........You have the power to simply stop participating and find a professional forum where the goal is to help one another to suceed in this hobby/buss...................guess what ? you found it.......:D

TO: Stuart Ablett

I am duly chastised! I wil not try to perk this forum up!

My 65 years of experience is not correct for this forum.
So I will just continue to read the threads, learn and be silent.

With all respect and well wishes for your approach to good forum decorum.

Larry I have enjoy the fun you have shown and received.

Rev. Paul Gallian

Paul the best way to make this place better is to post the stuff you are working on yourself, or things that you find interesting, the more one posts, the more opportunity it gives for others to make comments and ask questions about what one is doing. Trying to "Perk Up" a forum may not be the best approach, instead, share what you are doing, and make sure you take pictures! :D :thumb:

Rev. Paul Gallian

Paul,
I don't think Stu was chastising you I Believe he was answering you question. The best way one can "perk up" this forum is by posting your work, question and more active.

Don

Rev. Paul Gallian

paul,
sorry you feel this way:eek:
sitting in silence will neither "perk-up" nor "make the forum "more active".
i generally stay outa spinnyville `cause i don`t have much to contribute other than more atta-boys.
you`re free to post what you want so long as it conforms to the coc......or not?
those of us who wrote the coc tried to make it fair and simple and if you believe your toes have been stepped on please address the issue instead of being quiet and stewing.

Rev. Paul Gallian

Paul you took my comments completely wrong, I was not, in any way, shape or form "Chastising" you, I was suggesting that if you wish to "Perk" things up, using your word, posting your work, tips, tricks and or stuff you are doing will usually bear more fruit than "Kidding around". Not that I have anything against "Kidding around" I've been known to do that a time or two as well.

I have no power over you sitting by the sidelines, feeling chastised or not, that is up to you, I would hope that you would see that you took my words in a way I did not mean them. :)

Stu

sharp = good. I also learned you need a jig to do that. Waite till you try a tormek one day. I'll never use my wolvereen and grinder on a skew again.

I have no jigs, and have 3 dollar chisels, but what I didnt know is how dull they really were till I bought a grinder.
I ruined the small gouge, but did get a razor sharp edge on most of the others I use.
Its not different, its a world apart.(I know Im preaching to the choir, but somethings have to hit you in the head before you realize it)

sharp and learning the correct speeds to spin at.....this has been an incredible difference for me. I was to the point in only 2 weeks I thought I might have to trade it all in because I couldnt seem to turn smooth products.
I have been turning pens and even turned some redwood posts the other day, and was amazed how well the redwood turned, all because I finally understand a bit more about speeds and the needs for sharp chisels.
When rounding over something, around 2x2 square it would take me 10-15 minutes, now it takes me 2 minutes and with a sharp roughing gouge, its round and smooth.
Practice, practice, practice.

IM thinking about breaking out the thick maple again tomorrow and spinning a bowl, or at least trying again.

Last edited:
Don't know about turning tools but, I know about carving ones, a sharp gouge is a joy to use and about 50% less tiring on your hands, wrists and arms, I strop my gouges each time I take a small rest from carving or I make a shor stop to asses my work. It DOES make a difference.