sap popping trough paint

I did search a couple of times before this post but "sap" falls into the 3 letter word category and is skipped by the search....grrr.

I finally have a project that is decent enough to post here (a arbour for the MIL). She wanted a white paint finish so all ideas of nice joinery went out the window. My posts are douglas fir and one of them is oozing sap despite having two coats of zinsser 123 and two coats of SW A100.

If I had realised about the sap issue I would have used some shellac on the area and I guess I still can but that will require sanding back to the bare wood.

Does anyone here have any suggestions other than sand and shellac?

Patrick,
If you are going to have to remove the paint then I would suggest you use a stripper, it will save you a lot of time. I like to use metholine Chloride, I buy it a true value in a product called "Dad's Spray stipper". It's take that paint off in no time. Simply spray it on and scrape off the old stripper. You can rinse it with water or Methol Alcahol

Thanks for the stripper brand and advice Don.

I'm not looking forward to having to sand or strip the post unless I absolutely have to. I'm just trying to figure out what to use to dry up the sap. I'm considering chiseling out the surrounding area and filling it with bondo.

The sap leachin is from the wood not being dried proper. You need to get it warm enough for a long peroid to either remove the sap or the cure it. Your post will seep anytime it gets warm unless baked.

Well I cant stick it in the oven :)

I'm going to try some BIN on it after I take off the paint around the area and hope it works

B.I.N. contains shellac as a blocking agent. I notice on Zinsser's website that 123 is not specifically bragged on as a knot and sap sealer whereas B.I.N is. I have not used 123 but have used B.I.N. on several highly questionable surfaces without failure after a couple years.

HTH