Some Bottle Stoppers

Jeff Bower

Finished these up last night...sorry for the bad pic, but only had cell phone handy. There are 2 spalted maple, 3 spalted hackberry, 1 plain maple, 1 oak, 1 peach, 1 walnut and 1 osage orange.

I showed them to my wife this morning and she said, "These look nice for gifts, but you should make the 'good ones' to sell." She has seen Ruth's stoppers...I guess that gives me the go ahead to order them! :thumb:

Attachments

• p_00012.jpg
    p_00012.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 83
Jeff those are some great looking stoppers. Yep you better get some of Ruth's ordered. I just ordered $80 introductory offer she had with the drill bit, mandrel and 10 stoppers. Great price.

You'll learn to not show the wife things.:rofl::rofl: I learned after 42 yrs. not to do that. Gets me into trouble.:rofl:

Bernie,

I turned a few stoppers today on Ruth’s Starter Kit. It is a quality product, you’re going to like it. And – it is “Made in the U.S.A.”. I’ll post a picture when I get a dozen or so turned.

Nice work, Jeff. I'm also considering getting Ruth's starter set, but I've been a bit hesitant, since bottle stoppers haven't sold real well for me here. I know a other folks sell a lot of them. Maybe the California drinkers never leave a partial bottle of wine? :dunno: :p

I have only made stoppers for gifts. The good ones are kinda expensive to make. A friend, who also turns and sells stuff, says he cannot sell good ones because of high price. But, he has success selling stoppers with cork bases because his retail price is much less.

The good ones are kinda expensive to make. A friend, who also turns and sells stuff, says he cannot sell good ones because of high price. But, he has success selling stoppers with cork bases because his retail price is much less.

Frank I agree that the good ones are expensive compared to cork, but I have a store ready to buy "as many as you can get me" if they are the SS ones. I will be selling at a wholesale price, but there will still be lots of profit as the wood is free, and they can be turned in a few minutes.

I will be giving the corked ones to some of my past customers as early holiday gifts this month, but also as reminders to let me know if they need a good Christmas gift...made of wood of course. :D