Skeet..........

The version two looks much better Stu. Congratulations ! but why didn't you get a real one and just copy it? Is skeet shooting not done in Japan?

Stu they both look pretty good to me. :thumb: Maybe a would swing to #2 as a little better, but what the heck do I know? :dunno: How do they look compared to the original clay Skeet? :huh: These are awards right? wouldn't it be cool to do different woods to represent the differences from First, second and third? Just a thought. :thumb:

My buddy got the package and he is really pleased, he will take it over to the shooting club on the weekend and then the laser guys, he has promised pics of the laser work on the skeet and maybe even the presentation to the member who is leaving.

He asked me if I could make another 5 or 6 of these, as he really thinks that the guys at the shooting club are going to seriously want more :thumb:

Then I told him some ideas, like prizes for a competition, 200% sized one for 1st place, 150% for 2nd place and 100% for 3rd place, he really liked that idea, then I said what about a champion board, one board with a skeet at the top, with the club name, logo and the name of the event on it, the below that rows of small plaques that for each year's champion's name, that way, the winner gets his trophy but the club also has one that hangs on the wall showing the winners of each year. With a board that would not be that large, you could easily have 20 years of champions on the board, sounds like a plan :D

He said the juices were really flowing and the ideas were coming on strong, so I think I'll get some business out of this and he will get to impress some people at the shooting club, cool!:headbang:

Those are great news Stu, I'm happy for you, and... that may lead to the acquisition of a copying device so that all the skeets are exactly equal;):D

Give it a thought ..:)

I see a 3 axis cnc router in the future. Dungeon really starting to get small.

Can that Geetech unit you recieved not be brought into this or is it too slow relative to doing things like this on the lathe?

I would have thought that it could surely finish off a nice image of sorts on the top of the skeet. But why not the whole skeet out of a roung blank cut off a wooden billet created on the lathe.:dunno:

If they want six, I'll make them on the lathe, if they want sixty, I'll have to figure out how to make them on the iCarver, I'd need to either make a file in CAD somehow, or take a picture of one and convert it into an image I can use on the iCarver.

Cheers!

If they want six, I'll make them on the lathe, if they want sixty, I'll have to figure out how to make them on the iCarver, I'd need to either make a file in CAD somehow, or take a picture of one and convert it into an image I can use on the iCarver.

Cheers!

From what I hear these used to be quite popular at the ranges to slip in on the guy who never missed. At skeet #9 shot woulldn't break them and it takes a visible chip to count as a hit..

Even used to be a few metal ones I have heard.

Garry

Looks like the turning club likes what they saw.......

skeet_lasered.jpg

..... are are now making a list of how many they want, I guess I'll have to get some turning done!

I got this note back from my buddy.......

As predicted your wooden skeet were an absolute success. The club members were stunned and all started throwing out ideas to receive these awards. What the club decided to do (for starters) is order five more clays like this (everything the same). They also want three sets (nine total) of 1st, 2nd & 3rd place clays with 1st & 2nd being larger scale. So that is a grand total of 14 birds of various sizes requested.

Before you start spinning wood shavings why don't you come up with an estimate work sheet for the set (1st, 2nd & 3rd). You said 3,000 yen for the standard correct? I (like you) enjoy dealing in solid numbers so there isn't a 4th quarter conversation over price.

Please spin one set... look at your time/materials etc and let me know.

You're going to need business cards and start offering your custom furniture options as well, seeing how I promoted your Canadian wood working abilities pretty high.

More than a few Officers were interested (Emiko will thank me later). :0)

Your skills and abilities only need to be marketed... promotion are not required, these guys... this community would love to meet someone with your abilities.

Geez, I'm in trouble now :eek::rolleyes::D

I tell you, this guy is really a friend! :thumb:

Cheers!

Being a "good buddy", price is a difficult thing to advise on.
I was thinking a 1/4" parting tool would do your 'steps' quickly and easily using calipers to size correctly. After all, its just a number of tenons.