I can't believe I just did this

Bob Gibson

My wife gave me a choice for our anniversary gift. She would sign me up for a 2 day cooking class at the King Arthur Flour School (I love cooking and have a beautiful set of knives that no one is allowed to touch) or do some woodworking thing (thats what she calls it) :doh:

I was at my local Rockler store today picking up a few sale items and, I don't know what came over me. I guess that some of you guys are just a bad influence :rolleyes:
Anyways, I signed up and prepaid (so I couldn't change my mind after I regained my senses for the following 2 classes:

10/17 Natural edge Bowl Turning.....Learn techniques necessary to create a natural edge bowl from a freshly cut log 4 hours long.

And if that wasn't enough on 11/7 Turned wooden box. Using a variety of turning disciplines. featuring a bunch of stuff about jam chucks and other spinny stuff I have no clue about. :huh:

You did it......you crazy spinny people sucked me in. :rofl::rofl:
And to think I could of learned how to bake a baguette

I'm sure that was a tough decision to make! :eek:

Much to LOMLs liking, I enjoy cooking and keep getting better at it -- or so she says. Can you say, "Butter him up and he'll try anything?"

As to classes of any kind, the closest I've been able to find is Atlanta -- about four hours away. And that's turning or cooking.

Back to the cooking thing. LOML is great. If I cook, she'll clean up after me all day long. If she cooks, she insists on cleaning up after herself! :thumb:

Good choice, spinning wood is fun. Its frustrating also, but its so different from flat work. Different world. Enjoy the class, wish there were rocklers or woodcrafts near me.

Good choice, spinning wood is fun. Its frustrating also, but its so different from flat work. Different world. Enjoy the class, wish there were rocklers or woodcrafts near me.

Allen, you need to join the Long Island Woodturners Association. << LINK >> They have monthly meetings over in Dix Hills. They will have classes that you can attend and more importantly probably have mentors that will assist you.

Bob,

I think you made a GOOD decision! The classes sound fun, and I am sure you will learn many good, useful, and practical, things.

Share with me/us after the classes.

Now go make some bread!

paul

...You did it......you crazy spinny people sucked me in. :rofl::rofl:

Nah, the lathe is what sucked you in. We just facilitated the introduction. :p

Congrats on the classes, and congrats on marrying a lady who'll send you to "some woodworking thing" as an anniversary present. :thumb:

Bob,
Have you considered combining these passions?? Here's my Powermatic 2442 Squash-O-Matic in action from a few years back. Off the lathe and into the pot !!

Attachments

• SQUASH-3.jpg
    SQUASH-3.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 35
Ted, a while back I was trying to remember who had done the Squash-O-Matic. It was you! That's much better than my Beatmaster® 9000:

Beatmaster 9000 600.jpg

Cooking and turning are a good combo. Make your own spoons, spatulas and bowls. Then, if the meal doesn't turn out well, blame it on the tools and claim you need more turning time, more wood, more tools. You get the point.;)

yes! it is possible!!

i didn't believe i could do it, but it is possible!! you can turn a baguette!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• turned baguette 1.JPG
    turned baguette 1.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 19
  • turned baguette 2.JPG
    turned baguette 2.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 22