I don't think I showed you these yet

Mack Cameron

In Memorium
This one is a long clicker ballpoint pen converted to a rollerball.

It's turned from Pau Amarello, which grows exclusively in the State of Para in Brazil. (commonly and mistakenly known as Canary wood) Its common name is more correctly Yellowheart.

The plating is hard wearing Titanium Gold.

It's been finished with 7 coats of MinWax 4 hr. quick dry clear gloss poly which was left to cure for 48 hrs. Then buffed, polished, and waxed by Beall.

attachment.php

This pair is a pen/pencil set obviously. The pen has been converted to a rollerball, the pencil takes .7mm lead.

Both have been turned from cocobolo. The finish on both is 10 coats of CA/BLO. This finish requires gassing off for a couple of days. It has been buffed, polished, and waxed courtesy of my 3 wheel Beall buffer as well.

attachment.php

Very nice Mack. I like darker wood so I have to vote for the pen/pencil set this time. Did you cut the blanks yourself to get the grain at an angle like that?

Tom

Great pens Mack! thanks for showing them to us.

I have a question though, what is "gassing" I've looked it up at wordreference.com and couldn't find a translation.

Could you explain me the process ?

Thanks

Mack, all of those demonstrate your high attention to details including the finish! Man those are tremendous!! You are spending more time on finishing than I do throughout the whole process, and it shows! :( The yellowheart pen, are those guitar picks? Thanks Mack, will be showing these to my students to show an example of a master's work!!:thumb::thumb:

Ya know Mack, if you keep practicing this pen thing, you're gonna get pretty good at it. :rofl:

I agree with Jon...these are two more examples from a master. Excellent work. :clap:

Great pens Mack! thanks for showing them to us.

I have a question though, what is "gassing" I've looked it up at wordreference.com and couldn't find a translation.

Could you explain me the process ?

Thanks
Hi Toni; The CA/BLO finish is hard and dry on the pen when I am finished with it. But there still is a slight smell of CA coming from it. So what I call "gassing off" is really just additional curing time.

Mack, all of those demonstrate your high attention to details including the finish! Man those are tremendous!! You are spending more time on finishing than I do throughout the whole process, and it shows! :(
The yellowheart pen, are those guitar picks?
Hi Jonathon; It is called pick guard by the guitar makers for obvious reasons. It comes in sheets in many different colour combinations that I rip to width (± ¾").