Pencil Pots

Chas Jones

________Latest customer request____Click on images for larger view.
________

________

.....I assume you glue everything up before you turn and hollow....

Jonathan, I turn, glue and bore out as I go.

Start with a recessed dovetail base (fully finished on base),
rough turn and clean up one face of the other pieces, making very sure that the glue interface is flat (squeaky steel rule trick).

Mount base on chuck jaws, face off front face, bore to required depth if deeper section, clean up edge square, (squeaky steel rule trick again).

Glue on next section, use tail stock to apply pressure.

Finish bore to match base, sand and finish, trim outer close to base dia.
Square off front edge (squeaky steel rule trick again).

Glue next section etc.

Finally finish outer.

Finishing the bore as you go is easier for tooling and finishing.

Thanks for the comments, have a few more to do on a similar vein, the underlying reason for the laminating with the current in-work items is to use up smaller pieces, driven I must confess by my inappropriate blank sizing over the last couple of years, which has left me with a totally unbalance stock of blanks for the items being requested. In the case of the ones using spalted Beech it is also allowing me to sandwich a softer less robust wood between two harder wearing pieces.

Chas as usual your work is excellent. I think the style of having a mix of woods and contrast is in my opinion better that a single wood piece. I think it sets off the prominent peace of wood much better. Top and bottom laminations are the ones I like. Not struck on the one with the middle band but then i like a certain amount of symmetry. The ash and beech combo with the curved edges is real neat i like that best of all.:thumb:

________
________For Jonathan, and anybody else interested.

______
________The subject of a WIP, (according to the camera 1hr39.)____Click on image for larger view.
________

Thanks for the comments guys, Rob, I prefer the light wood contrast base and rim myself, helps display the specimen pieces, but I tend to assemble whatever comes out of the off-cut bin that suits, as you all know there's no accounting for customers preferences and it all seems to move well enough.