whats the differnce

larry merlau

between a jig saw, scrool saw and sabre saw..? now the sabre saw is a old description of a tool and so that will be hard to find anyone that has heard that term.. now for the next question, is this saw used that much ? i got asked if i wanted one its a old rockwell with a 12"square table that appears to have a 1.5" cuttin depth. it now has a 1/4" bladde in it with 6 TPI.. this saw is a cast iron version.. whats a fair price for this saw it has approximatly a 16" to 18" throat.

jig saw/sabre saw= same thing
scroll saw has the blade held on both ends.
the old rockwell should say delta/rockwell on the badge?
the old delta i used to own was much better for marquetry than the modern saws because the blade traveled straight up-n-down instead of in an arc like the newer saws do.
price? 150-300 depending.

any idead where i can go to see this model,, its got a square throat nota swooping c shaped throat and the blade does travel up and down and straight tod.

You can see one right here Larry & you don't have to be to old to recognize all those names & the tools they represent. About the only difference in how it looks is the thoat & there may be a slight size difference but I am not sure about this.

Attachments

• Scroll-saw.jpg
    Scroll-saw.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Larry, how come you put this thread under "General Woodturning Q&A" and not "Old Iron" or General Woodworking Q&A"?

I am starting to think of some sinister reason, like you have woodturning on the mind or something. You are starting to worry me.

Larry I have an old King Sealy that was built in 1929. It'll scroll up to 2" thick and has a 24" depth. I use mine quite often to make tight cuts so I don't have to change the blade in my band saw. I think I paid $50 for it.
0630091639b[1].JPG
It take 8" blades which are not standard for a modern scroll saw so I use coping saw blades.:thumb:
I would offer em$50 and see if they bite.

My OLD memory such as it is says this.

Dremel - made a table mounted saw with thin blades held at both ends and called it a jig saw (Now known as a Scroll saw).

Sabre saw was the name for the first hand held reciprocating blade saw.

The last item you're identifying is now a scroll saw. I have an old one from Sears that works well and comes with the stand - I just don't use it;not spinny.
PM me if interested. I'll make you a GOOD DEAL on it. Comes with blades and set up block.
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

Gotta disagrre w/Bruce. I'm pretty sure the first 'saber saw' types of tools were made by a company named Scintilla (sp?). For a long time that is how all of the hand held recip blade tools were referred to. e.g. "Scintilla saws". My father had one of the first. It was heavy and got hot but, essentially, those today are still very much like that first. In fact, I may have it kicking around someplace. Will look and post a picture if I find it.

Gotta disagrre w/Bruce. I'm pretty sure the first 'saber saw' types of tools were made by a company named Scintilla (sp?). For a long time that is how all of the hand held recip blade tools were referred to. e.g. "Scintilla saws". My father had one of the first. It was heavy and got hot but, essentially, those today are still very much like that first. In fact, I may have it kicking around someplace. Will look and post a picture if I find it.

scintilla was acquired by bosch sometime in the 40`s and have offered tools under both names in the usa since the 50`s.
scintilla was/is a swiss company and some of the ol`timers would refer to their swiss saws.

Larry, how come you put this thread under "General Woodturning Q&A" and not "Old Iron" or General Woodworking Q&A"?

I am starting to think of some sinister reason, like you have woodturning on the mind or something. You are starting to worry me.

brain lapse bill been a long week here:) fixed it so now back to our regularry scheduled programmming,,, this is a rockwell/delta 16" throat and not varible speed and the depth of cut is 1.5" with a touch to spare looks like a 6" blade. and it doesnt look like yours bart,, you got the varible spped model and bigger than this thing is.

also while digging threw the goodies we found a bronze drill index stand another words its bronz holds all bit from 1/16 to 1/2" and its from ohio or chicgo twist drill compant really intricate design on the out side of it and steps up the flat where the drills go like a display model would ..if i got the model no on this saw could i or some one find this critter threw rockwell or dleta?

I looked for the old Scintilla, not around. I think I sold it at a garage sale. The blades fastened differently than current sabre saws and, as far as I know, are no longer available.
I recall it had a green body that was fluted to help hold.

the first one is close to what i have access to but its doesnt say home craft any where on it and it does have the rockwell-delta label.. and its that shape but alittle more squarish.. will try to get apic of it tommrow.. how much does one use something like this in normal day to day WW? i am not inot make sillouttes or figureunes so perhaps its not for me..

I have heard the term Jig saw and Scrollsaw used to describe the same tool (a scrollsaw) but where I grew up, we always felt this was a misnomer for our area of the country.

A jig saw here is a hand held power tool where the blade is held on one end and goes up and down, and as Tod says, no orbital action. I have one made by Skil for the 50's which is heavy as lead with that pot-metal body and it overheats and needs graphite applied to the stroke mechanism...but its 60 years old and still works!

I think today though they have pretty much been replaced by the reciprocating saw.

I still have a old Scrollsaw made by AMT...American machine Tool which was made in china? No wonder that company did not last long. Its broke its blade holder once, and I had to rebuild the air pump, but for an 1980 vintage tool, that too still gets used a lot in my shop for building my wooden models.