Clamp loosening up

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, if not please move it where it belongs to.

I have a clamp that is about 35 years old and it has started to get loose.

If I clamp something to glue it normally it holds but if I clamp something to work on it i.e. planing, it gets loose.

Is there any solution different from drilling evenly spaced holes on it and putting a pin?

I do not want to discard it as it is in very good condition.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Toni, I don't have an answer for you, but I've moved your question over to the General Woodworking Q&A area so more folks will see it. ;)

Sorry guys, I should have thought about posting a pic of it.

Here it is.

Attachments

• clamp01.jpg
    clamp01.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 42
  • clamp02.jpg
    clamp02.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 36
Sounds like it is getting worn enough to where it vibrates lose from the planing. Either use it just for clamping or see if you can fill in some of the slop.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, if not please move it where it belongs to.

I have a clamp that is about 35 years old and it has started to get loose.

If I clamp something to glue it normally it holds but if I clamp something to work on it i.e. planing, it gets loose.

Is there any solution different from drilling evenly spaced holes on it and putting a pin?

I do not want to discard it as it is in very good condition.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
The natural resonance of the machine is probably working against you on this one.

Before modifying the clamp, if you have access to a material I call shelf liner, a non skid material for motor homes, travel trailers etc., you might give it a shot by cementing a piece on the clamp anvil and swivel to absorb some of that resonance.

I find that type of clamp to be bad about walking as it is tightened unless it has perfect alignment and this material prevents that a great deal. Once you have used it you'll probably find several uses for it in the shop as I have.

Attachments

• MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 13