Finished Product of HF Color Experiment

Here is the finished version of this thread: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15901

The hollow form is Maple, 7" in diameter x 3 1/2" high x 1/8" thick, dyed with Black, Teal and Yellow RIT powdered clothing dyes mixed with denatured alcohol (DNA). It has several coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly and will get buffed after at least a week curing time.
HF Color v1.JPG HF Color v2.JPG HF Color v3.JPG HF Color v4.JPG HF Color v5.JPG

So, what do you think? Is it worth playing around with this dye stuff or should I stick with natural wood?

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Carry on experimenting. That piece looks almost as though the colour is under a coat of glass. I like it personally and as someone who has only recently come over to the darkside of colouring wood am grateful that others are also committing arboreal heresy:rofl:

Pete

Yeppers, I think it's worth playing around with.
yes.gif
I'm still pondering this particular color combination, but that's a personal preference thing, not an issue with the concept. I suspect the colors play together better in person than over the Internet. I definitely like the effect. :thumb: And of course the HF itself is top-notch. :clap:

And Pete gets the Thorndike-Barnhart Master of Eloquence Award for his new term: arboreal heresy. :p

on the flat side of things yu can continue to play with your color ,,thats one very nice colored HF steve,, the color brings out what would be hard to see before hand..:thumb::thumb: